What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian M30 Practice grenade.

ron3350

The Australian M30 Practice Hand Grenade is a copy of the American version and was stamped DS 66 for David Shearer & Co, Mannum, Sth Australia 1966.
Fuzed M205A2. Blue paint with a brown band and plastic base plug.

The brown wooden box holds 30 grenades in cardboard containers as shown. Who is MW over V maker of the containers?
The bottom of the box is stamped : MO 66 B 7548340

M30 Grenades a.jpgM30 Grenade b.jpgM30 Grenade c.jpgM30 Box a.jpgM30 Box b.jpgM30 Box c.jpgM30 Box d.jpgM30 Box e.jpg

I am still asking for the maker of the container if known. MW over V so must be in Victoria, Australia.

I would doubt that MW over V is the manufacturer of the container. I would have expected them to simply stamp it into the cap with the designation. perhaps an inspection station??

I have no proof of MW over V as a maker but this forum has identified four similar makers over V as Makers.

Mc&P = McCabe & Pomeroy P/L Melbourne (25Pr Drill).
McI = John McIlwraith & Co (Fuze).
DCC = Dominion Can Co, Melbourne (Fuze).
HB = Hanson & Bricknell, Melbourne (40mm Drill).

It makes sense that MW over V is also another maker of containers but the m26A2 containers are the same and not stencilled with this maker in Australia.

One would expect to find the maker's initials stamped into the ends. However, these containers are of cardboard/metal construction so it is possible that the manufacturer of the metal ends was not the manufacturer of the completed container.

The MW/V follows standard Australian monogram practice where the maker's initials are placed over a letter identifying the state. In this instance "V" indicating Victoria. Not all contractors followed this convention but a great deal did.

Were it an inspection mark, apart from other details, it would be a straight three letter station monogram.

Ron, you're going to have wait until I get a Victoria Trade Directory.

TimG