What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Standard British Clinometer ?

Gspragge

Premium Member
Was there a standard issue clinometer in use for various sizes of British Artillery pieces during the war ?
If so what was it or they if more than one. The page shown is for 1915, was there changes in Mks by
1917 18 ?

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (1).jpg
    IMG_0001 (1).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I'm tracking the British Army has 3 distinct families of artillery clinometers (Large, Inspectors, and Field) plus a mortar family too. Furthermore, the British Army has a mountain clinometer, Mark I B.L. 10 P.R. Clinometer. Large clinometers are used with coast, super heavy, and anti-aircraft artillery. Inspectors clinometers are used by inspecting officers for checking artillery systems and the inspectors clinometer are more accurate than a large or field clinometer. Field clinometers are used to lay and check elevation on field guns and howitzers. The British Army started World War I with Mark III Field Clinometer but continued to improve the field clinometer design during the war and produced 3 improved models: Mark IV Field Clinometer - 1915, Mark V Field Clinometer - 1916, and Mark VI Field Clinometer - 1918. The Mark VI Field Clinometer was used all the way through World War II. What book is your photo from and could you please post a photo of the cover? Thanks

The image is from the Priced vocabulary of Stores , part ll , 1915.
A down load of this is on this site in General refrences.