What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

130 MM saleroom mistake!

rickwedlock

i got quite excited a few months back when i won an auction from saleroom com. the item was described as a 4 3/4" shell with british fuze. great i thought, it must be a 120 mm H.E. round for the conqueror tank. unfortunately due to covid the item didn't arrive until today but i knew something so rare was worth the wait. however once i opened the package and saw the 130 mm markings on it i knew i had been duped. the fuze didn't even fit the shell thread. i had been suckered. i am now the proud owner of a very expensive modern shell. although i have to say it is quite impressive and weighs a little over 30Kg which makes for a good door stop :)

i've put it next to a 3.7" for size comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_20200717_175443_4.jpg
    IMG_20200717_175443_4.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20200717_175326_8.jpg
    IMG_20200717_175326_8.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20200717_175234_6.jpg
    IMG_20200717_175234_6.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 84
That sucks. You have to be a bit leery when people than know nothing about ordnance are selling it. Especially with no photo. Ask for photos.

i hate to admit it but it did have a pic on the auction site. i just assumed it was a 120mm as that what 4 3/4" works out at. with the british fuze as well i thought it was a conq round. it's not the first time i've been wrong about ordnance and no doubt not the last but everyday is a school day :)

With the-saleroom, I always use the message facility to ask the auctioneer what markings are on an item. Most auctioneers will reply with additional photos.

i took a chance and it didn't work out but it's still an impressive round. maybe i will start collecting russian ammo as well :)

i've now sold the projectile, infact i had quite a few guys interested in it. apparently it's quite rare. i made a bit of profit and also got 17 pdr apcbc in the deal. the gods have been kind to me :)