What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swedish Torped pistol M14

Bjorn

Bought this nice item last summer. Was hoping to get see if anyone had some more information on this one.
I know Sweden had some in house production but also imported parts. I have searched all over the net for hours but have not been able to find another one with this exact design.

Digital museum has some prictures but no match so far.
https://digitaltmuseum.se/search/?q=torped&context=owners

Its marked 186, UPP and M14

All information is greatly appreciated and I would love to see a picture with a similar one mounted on a torpedo.

Best regards
Bjorn

Attachments

• DSC01679.jpg
    DSC01679.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC01678.jpg
    DSC01678.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC01676.jpg
    DSC01676.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC01696.jpg
    DSC01696.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 29
As a hardcore, total, TORPEDO NERD, this is an incredible find and addition. What a beautiful design. Serious Congrats!

Jason

Thank you it's a match. Still looking for some additional information.

I wonder if the M/14 marking stands for the model of the actual torpedo or the detonator?
Looking for photos and information of the type of torpedo that this detonator was used with

Here for example Digital Museum refers to a different design and still calls it torpedo M/14
https://digitaltmuseum.se/011024817918/stridsspets

I can say, at least with most, US torpedoes, that the MK# on the parts, typically identify the part and does not necessarily match up with the MK# of the torpedo itself.

Jason

Jason

Now that is just one fantastic find!!! WOW - Congrats

I'm here just drooooooooooooooling!

I don't have much on Swedish built torpedoes, however Sweden began importing Whitehead weapons in 1875 and from 1911 they were manufactured under licence at Karlskroma.
Swedish torpedoes built prior to 1945 had similar characteristics to other Fiume based designs (Whitehead).

The number "186" I would suspect to be the serial number, based on both Whitehead and Schwarzkoft manufacturing methods.
Mostly likely fitted either an 18" or 21" torpedo, which were common around WW1.

The pistol design is very similar to the pre-WW2 Japanese Type 91 pistol (1931-1941) used on their 8th Year 24" torpedo (pre- runner to the long lance).

Cheers
Drew

BTW - the span length of the Type 91 horizontal whiskers is 23"

Attachments

• p06ch2pg012.jpg
    p06ch2pg012.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 23
  • p06ch2pg010.jpg
    p06ch2pg010.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Further it appears that the first model produced by the Karlskrona factory was given the model number M/12 and was made in a series of three groups K1, K2 & K3, of 28 torpedoes in each group.
The first K1 torpedoes that were delivered in 1912 /1913 were "cold air" torpedoes due to problems with the "hot air apparatus". However these problems were solved and the remaining K1 and the whole stock of the old M/09 (Whitehead) were reconstructed to hot air torpedoes and given the model number M/12A.

The K2 & K3 were equip with hot air construction from the start and given the model number M/12B, with K2 torpedoes delivered in 1914 and K3s in 1915.

It seems that these Swedish torpedoes were of outstanding quality and there are references indicating that both M/12A and M/12B were frequently used at torpedo firing schools even up to the 1950s!!!

I suspect the "M/XX" represent both the model design and year, hence the M/14 would I assume to have been made from 1914 onwards.......... with #186 perhaps representing the serial number produced under that model number.

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Thank you Drew.
Indeed that Japanese Type 91 pistol is spot on, great pictures

Now that is just one fantastic find!!! WOW - Congrats

I don't have much on Swedish built torpedoes, however Sweden began importing Whitehead weapons in 1875 and from 1911 they were manufactured under licence at Karlskroma.
Swedish torpedoes built prior to 1945 had similar characteristics to other Fiume based designs (Whitehead).

The number "186" I would suspect to be the serial number, based on both Whitehead and Schwarzkoft manufacturing methods.
Mostly likely fitted either an 18" or 21" torpedo, which were common around WW1.

The pistol design is very similar to the pre-WW2 Japanese Type 91 pistol (1931-1941) used on their 8th Year 24" torpedo (pre- runner to the long lance).

Cheers
Drew

BTW - the span length of the Type 91 horizontal whiskers is 23"

Great info! I agree with regards to the M marking being the model number based on year. But that I think if is regarding that specific pistol part and not the torpedo itself.

I was looking online and it seems like we have a Royal Navy Society (kungliga örlogsmannasällskapet) that has published a paper journal called Journal of the Navy (tidskrift i sjöväsendet) that's actually quite interestin with regards to the Torpedo manufacuring in Karlskrona

They can be found https://www.koms.se/tidskrift/arkiv
Nr-3-1916.pdf - Describes a brief history of the 5 year anniversary of the production start of Torpedos in Karlskrona
Nr-4-1913.pdf - Some info regarding the selection process of the Whitehead and schwarzkopf torpedos

Found this list of different models of the "Swedish" torpedos manufactured at Karlskrona

Best regards
Bjorn

Further it appears that the first model produced by the Karlskrona factory was given the model number M/12 and was made in a series of three groups K1, K2 & K3, of 28 torpedoes in each group.
The first K1 torpedoes that were delivered in 1912 /1913 were "cold air" torpedoes due to problems with the "hot air apparatus". However these problems were solved and the remaining K1 and the whole stock of the old M/09 (Whitehead) were reconstructed to hot air torpedoes and given the model number M/12A.

The K2 & K3 were equip with hot air construction from the start and given the model number M/12B, with K2 torpedoes delivered in 1914 and K3s in 1915.

It seems that these Swedish torpedoes were of outstanding quality and there are references indicating that both M/12A and M/12B were frequently used at torpedo firing schools even up to the 1950s!!!

I suspect the "M/XX" represent both the model design and year, hence the M/14 would I assume to have been made from 1914 onwards.......... with #186 perhaps representing the serial number produced under that model number.

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• TIS-Nr-3-1916_Swedish Torpedo modells.PNG
    TIS-Nr-3-1916_Swedish Torpedo modells.PNG
    188.2 KB · Views: 17