What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swedish Torpedo gyro M/05 45cm

Bjorn

Another torpedo related item that got in a lot I bought last summer
Am I correct in assuming that this might be a gyro for the 45cm steel torpedo, model 1893 by Whitehead & Co ?

Best regards
Bjorn

Attachments

• DSC01706.jpg
    DSC01706.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC01715.jpg
    DSC01715.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC01712.jpg
    DSC01712.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01700.jpg
    DSC01700.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01701.jpg
    DSC01701.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 18
My knowledge outside german WW2 torpedoes are limited to put it mildly, but I have "absorbed" some information on the topic.

As you probably know, Sweden and Norway purchased their first Whitehead torpedoes together in 1876.

As far as I can tell from the documents I have, Norway kept the original Whitehead-model designations, and if Sweden did the same (which I think), the "M/05" are probably = Whitehead Model V (or Model 5)?

Norway purchased 93 Model V torpedoes with serialnumbers between 6000 and 8000.

If you also consider the attached illustration from an 1915 italian torpedo handbook, this should correspond well with your assumption I think?

Mod V gyro.jpg

PS: I have a similar gyroscope, allthough a few years later - from a Model VII (photo attached).

IMG_8980.jpg

Great find!

I have the same gyro in my collection as well, with the exception of the box. I have never seen a, Whitehead gyro in that box before. You can tell that it is a early design, as it is purely spring driven, with no air bucket ports on the main rotor assembly.

The degree of engineering ion torpedo gyros has always amazed me and is the primary reason I have been collecting them for so long. Incredible physics and design that changed to course (PUN INTENDED) of underwater warfare!

Jason
PS:NATTER, that is a stunning example in your collection as well. Love the, early Sweden designs. Very close to the original, OBRY APPARATUS :)

There is an American avionic company here that makes modern aircraft instruments, including gyro compasses. The owner of the company has a early, Obry, torpedo gyro in the buildings main lobby under glass to inspire his workers. He said that making a balanced main rotor requires so much precision engineering and craftsmanship, even with modern machining equipment, and that these companies made something so perfect, so long ago using more primitive tooling, should set an example to his employees.

Natter said:
My knowledge outside german WW2 torpedoes are limited to put it mildly, but I have "absorbed" some information on the topic.
Not enough though...

Natter said:
If you also consider the attached illustration from an 1915 italian torpedo handbook, this should correspond well with your assumption I think?
I think I messed up some facts in my post: Obviously, the reference-number of the gyroscope is the gyroscope model, not the torpedo model. Ie: Whitehead Gyroscope No n isn't necessarily related to Whitehead Torpedo Model n.

Anyway: Whitehead Gyroscope Model No 1 was introduced around 1897 and Whitehead Torpedo Model 5 was introduced ca 1900. Without access to detailed records, it's hard to be 100% sure about what gyroscope was used in each torpedo model, but in this case the torpedo's serial number (7938) strongly suggest it actually was a Model 5.

The Whitehead Gyroscope Models 1-7 are very similar looking, but when examining Bjorn's photos more, I think No 2 is a better match than No 5:

wh-gyro no2.jpg

Note: The Whitehead Gyroscope No 7 that I have, was used in a Norwegian Model XI torpedo: The norwegian torpedofactory started it's own production with Model IX, that was an improved version of the Whitehead Model VIII - the last model we purchased. The archives from the norwegian torpedofactory were lost due to allied bombing of the naval base Karljohansvern (Horten, Norway) in 1945, so there's hardly any historical information available - like the different designs and wether all parts were produced in Norway or some were purchased from Whitehead. I assume that we purchased certain components though - like the gyroscope - both because of available knowledge-/productionfacilities and licensing-issues. Originally, I'm sure the Model 7 gyroscope was used in an earlier Whitehead-model.

PS:NATTER, that is a stunning example in your collection as well. Love the, early Sweden designs. Very close to the original, OBRY APPARATUS
The Obry-gyroscope was, as I'm sure you know, a design of Ludwig Obry (an Austrian naval officer), and licensed by Whitehead for use in their torpedoes.
As far as I know, all the early Whitehead torpedoes purchased by Norway, Sweden (and Denmark) were produced by Whitehead italian factory in Fiume (now Rijeca, Croatia). Wether Bjorns gyro is italian- or swedish made I can't tell (I assume it depends on time of manufacture, but if it's an early Model No 2, I bet it was purchased from Whitehead).