What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book - The Dieppe raid, by John Mellor

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
This is a very readable account of an operation that went tragically wrong. It was a hard learned lesson that hopefully helped to save many thousands of lives less than two years later. The courage of those involved is humbling. A poignant touch was when, after the raid, the defeated prisoners were being marched East. A man in a French wedding party saw that some of the POWs had no boots. He took off his own shoes and gave them to one of the hobbling men.

I always thought Dieppe was an intentional sacrifice of mostly Canadian soldiers by Lord Mountbatten to see how good German defence was. Similar, if I had a mine field in front of me and did not know how densely it was mined, so I'd send you walking through it to see when you blow up. Maybe some Dieppe soldiers were Irish and that was why IRA killed Lord Mountbatten?

Last edited:
It wasn't Mountbatten's idea to cancel the preliminary bombing that would have `softened up' the German defences and given the guys a greater chance of success. Read the book and find out for yourself.