What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two 25mm Swedish projektiles with casings 1913?

Bjorn

Hey guys, first of I am very new to this collection nish so bare with me if I come of a bit stupid, and don't hesitate to correct me.

I went on a fleemarked hunting this past weekend and found among other things these two.

Caliber is 25mm length of projectile is 70mm
Casing is 75mm
Total length 140mm
One casing is unmarked and the other one is marked Skultuna 1611, 2 and 13

I don't have any litteratur on these so I went to digitalmuseum as usual and I think it matches this one pretty decent.
https://digitaltmuseum.se/011024411034/25-mm-kula

The description there is
Bullet to machine gun - Palmcrantz 1877. Kal 25 mm.
Caliber 25 mm.
Case weight 317 g.
Charge weight : 40,5 g.
Bullet weight: 205 g.
Initial speed: 457 mV.
Penetration at 300 meters : 25 mm.
Fire rate per minute : 180.

https://digitaltmuseum.org/021026873972/25-mm-kulspruta-m-1877

Are my assumptions correct do you think ?

I have not seen steel projectiles with this copper overlay before is it common ?

One of the casings is marked 2 and 13 I guess the 13 stands for 1913 don't know about the "2" ?

What's up with all the notches on the rim of one of the cases?

Best regards
Bjorn

Attachments

• DSC02746.jpg
    DSC02746.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC02747.jpg
    DSC02747.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 77
Very nice Swedish case I have not seen before. The projectile looks similar to a Mk1V Nordenfelt but may be Swedish as well.
The half milled rim case should be a white flare case? as 1" flares are similar to the Nordenfelt cases. I await other opinions.

Yes, I found some Nordenfelt projectiles that looked very similar indeed.
Is the milled rim often used on flare cases ?

Best regards
Bjorn

I am vague on Swedish flare cases but they did use the 95mm brass Nordenfelt cases as flares M.96.
Red flares had a full milled rim, white half milled? and green plain rims. Wads were red, white or green. Again this needs confirmation from Swedish collectors.
From your photo I cannot prove that it is a Swedish case but it seems possible.

The case with the half milled rim is a fm/16 (försöksmodell 1916) green Star...........the white Star has a plain rim. :tinysmile_twink_t:

Thanks for the correction rigby.
I do not have any Swedish flares and could not see the green case had half milled rim in my flare book.
I thought it followed British code ID.
I see there were 95mm M/96 cases with 2.2mm rims,also 100mm M/18 had 2.0mm thick rims and M/25 had 3mm thick rims.
Maybe I would have noticed if case dimensions had been given.
Nice cartridges and I have learnt something new. Thanks.

The case with the half milled rim is a fm/16 (försöksmodell 1916) green Star...........the white Star has a plain rim. :tinysmile_twink_t:

Ok, interesting, do you have some more info on this trial version or know where I can find it ? have searched but not managed to find anything on the fm/16
Its ok to send by PM if you prefere

Best regards
Bjorn

Skultuna marked case:
Rim thickness: 2mm
Case height: 75mm
The inside diameter of case opening is 25.0mm
Rim diameter: 31mm

Unmarked half milled rim case
Rim thickness: 2mm
Case height: 75mm
The inside diameter of case opening is 25.0mm