What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP NEEDED TO ID - Possible Small Mortor, Rifle Grenade ?????

apfsds

Premium Member
I acquired this many years ago, and have no idea what it may be. There are no markings anywhere. Could it be some type of mortar, rifle grenade, something for the, Davy Crocket Gun???? Does anyone have any ideas? Super grateful for any help.

Jason

IMG_6251.jpgIMG_6252.jpgIMG_6253.jpg

Hi
French training sub-caliber projectile for all mortars, the projectile remains identical, only the sub-caliber tube inserted in the bore of the mortar is different for each caliber. Used with 60mm, 81mm, 4.2" and the 120mm (including the rifled version).
Exact French name is: Materiel sous-calibré Losfeld Modèle 54/56 pour l'instruction du tir au mortier.
Losfeld was in Charenton le Pont in the suburbs of Paris.
This one is the first type, reusable, with a smoke marker (inserted when unscrewing the nose). There are 3 more types, but I've never seen them
Here is the patent:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US2863394A/en

WOW! Fantastic information to say the least!

Thank you EVERYONE for the fast ID and incredible documentation. Way past grateful! So cool!

Are these a common find? Totally outside my primary interest of study. Bought it many years ago for its coolness factor :) I think I paid $200 from a overseas seller.

Jason
PS: Thank you all big time!

WOW! Fantastic information to say the least!

Thank you EVERYONE for the fast ID and incredible documentation. Way past grateful! So cool!

Are these a common find? Totally outside my primary interest of study. Bought it many years ago for its coolness factor :) I think I paid $200 from a overseas seller.

Jason
PS: Thank you all big time!

Obviously quite common in France. Maybe 30euros in our country.