What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut explosion

TNT only deteriorates very slowly, as it is most commonly mixed with a few % of wax that keeps out water, and the solubility of TNT in water is not good. The most important factor here however is time. The wreck is lying there for over 75 years now, so the steel casings surrounding the TNT will start to fall apart by now.

Millions of tons of ammunition have been dumped by the allies in the Eastern-and North-Seas after WW2. Ironcased ammo falls apart first the brasscased ammo takes longer. Students of universities near the eastern sea go collecting the NC powdersticks that are all the time being washed ashore for producing some homemade pyro-flame-effects.

Does HE deteriorate and become less effective over time? Does being kept underwater affect this?
On land it may take hundreds of years. I am sure that it deteriorates much quicker in sea water and becomes less likely to detonate but dependent on certain factors that may take a very long time. How oxygenated the water is must play a part, as does the depth of the munition under water, as does the thickness of the steel casing. Depth has a bearing on pressure meaning that water will more rapidly find a way into the munition. Thickness of the casing: I have seen that steel has a grain, hence the use of shells fitted with base plates. Seawater etches out the softer parts of the steel and degrades the strength of the whole. I have found milk bottle-sized lumps of rust and one that was broken revealed a 20 mm driving band. I realised then that I was looking at a fired practice shell. The steel was all gone, leaving only rust and the copper driving band. I have found an expended 25 Pr smoke shell - recognisable by a blunt forward end (aerodynamic tip broken off or rotted away) and a slight concave look to the wider rear despite the thickness of the rust. When I removed the rust what was left of the fuze fell out of the shell. The steel fuze well had rusted away completely, probably because it was the thinnest part of the steel, it was threaded and had had a threaded hole for a grub screw to secure the fuze. A 25 Pr plugged shell (in WW2 there was a training dispensation that allowed HE plugged shell to be fired seawards) had been deeply indented by the application of a demolition charge but had not detonated. That said there was a hole below the shoulder so it may perhaps have deflagrated when detonation was attempted. The hole was not as a result of the use of a shaped demolition charge.