What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 15.5cm (?) Case ID

Burney Davis

Premium Member
20200808_144152.jpg

The picture above is of a case I am trying to identify. Measurements are 160 x 920 x 183R in MM. It appears to have been German made by the inclusion of 'SP252' and the German naval month date 'VII' but the rest of the markings appear to be Russian including a date of 1898. The closest I can find is reference to a 15.5cm WW1 German naval case in a case list, but no further details. Any thoughts or help identifying would be appreciated.

Probably a 152x920R182 case, Schneider-Canet. Rare find! According my references French made for Russia and also used as Beute by the Germans. Your case looks Bulgarian made but typical German layout. Confusing and extra nice to see!

Hello,
Your case was at the origin a russian case 152x1095R182 for a Schneider-Canet gun. It was made in the factory Obukoff in 1898. Germans captured some of these guns and reused the russian cases but, perhaps they used their own powder, they cutted down the cases to 920mm in length.In the primer hole, the insert of iron permitted the use of the german small primer instead of the russian primer. This modification was made by POLTE MAGDEBURG, reason of inspector mark Sp252.
A friend, but I have no news of him from about 15 years, had the three cases: original 152x1095 russian case made in 1899, the same modified by POLTE with the inspector mark Sp406, and a POLTE made POLTE MAGDEBURG 1 JULI 1916 Sp252.
Dandebur

Hello,
Your case was at the origin a russian case 152x1095R182 for a Schneider-Canet gun. It was made in the factory Obukoff in 1898. Germans captured some of these guns and reused the russian cases but, perhaps they used their own powder, they cutted down the cases to 920mm in length.In the primer hole, the insert of iron permitted the use of the german small primer instead of the russian primer. This modification was made by POLTE MAGDEBURG, reason of inspector mark Sp252.
A friend, but I have no news of him from about 15 years, had the three cases: original 152x1095 russian case made in 1899, the same modified by POLTE with the inspector mark Sp406, and a POLTE made POLTE MAGDEBURG 1 JULI 1916 Sp252.
Dandebur

That’s fantastic information, many thanks. I don’t suppose you know which projectiles were used with the case?