What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting U.S. 37mm Rounds

ordnance

Premium Member
Here are a couple of loadings of WWII U.S. 37mm rounds that most would think incorrect, M2 canister and M63 HE projectiles loaded in MKIIIA2 cases. These projectiles were normally loaded in M16 cartridge cases for the M3 anti-tank and M6 tank guns and the MKIIIA2 cases were used in aircraft auto-guns with different warheads.

These two were not found like this but were assembled from parts I had around the shop. But they are correct as assembled. They were issued for the T32 37mm gun, a light weight stripped down version of the M3 AT gun developed in 1944 for jungle use. It was mounted on a slightly modified .50 cal M3 tripod and could be quickly broken down into component groups mostly weighing 55 pounds or less. The exception was the recoil cylinder and sight base which weighed in at 69.5 pounds.

Many years ago, I acquired a wooden crate marked for 10 rounds of ammunition for the T32 gun but was obviously too small to hold 10 rounds of ammo loaded in M16 cases, assuming the T32 used the same ammo as the AT gun. The mystery was solved when a friend sent a xerox copy of the original tech manual for the T32 and the proper loads were shown. I'm unaware of any other U.S. ammunition manuals that show these loadings but would love to hear if anyone knows of another source.

While developed for jungle use, I've never been able to verify they were used in the Pacific Theater. However, they did see use in Italy where they were often transported via mule pack in the mountainous terrain, as can be seen in the attached photos. The museum gun pictured was previously on display at the Rock Island Arsenal Museum and is one of perhaps 3 or 4 guns still known to exist of the small number built.

T32 Ammo 1.jpgT32 Ammo.jpgT32 Gun RIA 1 2005.jpgT32 Gun RIA 2 2005.jpgT32 in Italy 2.jpgT32 in Italy 3.jpgT32 in Italy 1.jpg

I have been collecting US 37mm rounds for 30 years, and I have never heard of this gun until now.

Steve,

I picked up the SNL Ord 9 for the T32 about 40 years ago and have had a "thing" for it ever since. As you might have guessed, info on it is a little tough to find, which I thought was a good reason to post about it here. Glad I could bring something new to the table.

Located this in the AMERICAN ARSENAL tome:

Scan_20200810 (7).jpg

For comparison.

Last edited:
Thanks Ordnance for your post, thats really interesting and new info to me and i thought i had a fairly good understanding of US 37mm loadings. Thats at least another two rounds i now have to look out for, well i have a spare M63 projectile so just have to find another case to put it in, not to many around over on this side of the pond.
Weasel

I believe it kept the aimer from leaning too far in and being struck by the breech during recoil.