What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New acquisitions

RogerKP

All very quiet lately due to lockdown, but , at last, I have managed to acquire some new items!
First up , this splendid 30mm MK103 - which I've wanted for ages.

cannon3.jpg cannon2.jpg

I've also bought this 30mm practice round - at least I'm told that is what it is! Tar filled? Any more info appreciated.

cannon.jpg

Lastly, this 20mm round - which seems a bit confusing! It's basically a worn dark blue - beneath which it seems to have been yellow. Plain to see the bright red band. There is an alloy AZ fuse - also blue , but a brighter colour than the shell. The top of the fuze has been cut - why I don't know! None of the paint is new - repainted at the time??

canon4.jpg cannon5.jpg

Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi Roger,
Nice items, the 2cm cannon round is an MG151/20 Incendiary Tracer and fitted with a AZ1528a impact fuze, the only way the fuzes can be inerted is to machine off the nose of the fuze. Hence why yours is that way, these fuzes were fitted to this round and also another MG 151/20 Incendiary round both were painted different shades of blue. German aircraft cannon round collecting can get out of hand very quickly if your not careful.
Best Weasel

Thanks for that. I guessed that was probably why the end of the fuze had been cut off! I seems evident that it’s been over painted - but both colours are pretty much the same age ,i.e. old! No recent paint job here! Did they often change the projectile’s use before filling?
And yes, it’s a great hobby - but sometimes it’s hard to get info. Books and the Internet never seem to have just the answer you’re looking for!
By the way , I’m desperately looking to buy a rifle calibre high velocity round - green band around bullet - which would have been used in an aircraft. V munition I believe. Impossible to obtain. Any idea where I could get one?
Best wishes
Roger

Hi Roger,
Here are a few books that would be good reference material for you covering German aircraft cannon rounds. there are more but this is a start. There are also plenty of threads on BOCN that contain lots of pictures and info on the subject as well. The rifle round you are after is that the exploding 7.92 ? well it contained a small charge so i suppose it would fall into that bracket, although i have never heard of it beng refered to as a "V Munition"
Best Weasel

2cm Flak.jpgBordwaffenmuniton.jpgTechnical.jpg

The best and most comprehensive book about german aircraft ammunition is the book by Franz Petter. Almost 1000 pages of very good information about the introduced and experimental ammunition.

Attachments

• IMG_168395_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
    IMG_168395_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_168396_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
    IMG_168396_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_168400_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
    IMG_168400_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 25
@Weasel
RogerKP means the 7,9mm -V (improved) ammunition for aircraft machine guns. The V ammunition there has been as SmK, SmK L'Spur, SmK Gl'Spur, PmK and B-Patrone.

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_65.jpg
    Zuschneiden_65.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 36
Thats what i love about the forum, every day is a learning day. and yes that is a good book i have it as well just cant remember where i last put it.
Best Weasel

Last edited:
Thanks Rigby! Anyone know where a copy of Fi.a.k Patronen und Geschosse can be purchased?

As for the other books, Flak Patronen und Geschosse is proving a bit tricky to locate, perhaps a message to Dutch member Hoeksel he may be able to help. The other book the Handbuch der Fluzeug-Bordwaffenmunition 1936-1945 was only published once in 1977 and although there are lots of scans of the book online and even in the downloads here on the forum, an origional copy would be difficult to find. I was very lucky to pick my copy up from a German auction site nearly ten years ago.
The pamphlets by Labbatt are or were available from an online millitary book shop, if i can find them i will post a link.
Best Weasel

Last edited:
I have just investigated a 30mm prac, same as you show & it was filled with sulphur, not tar.
Regards Ozzi.