What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7-inch AA shrapnel shell

Darkman

I recently picked up this 3.7" shrapnel shell. Cost me a packet, but I had to get it as it's only the second one I've seen.
I already had a fuze adapter for one of these, but the mouth is quite damaged and out of round so I have a bit of work to get the adapter to screw in.
The markings are as follows:

BHP 57353 (the steel supplier and presumably the batch number)
3.7 G
II.C (Mark II C shrapnel shell)
MO (manufacturer - Maribyrnong Ordnance factory, Melbourne, Australia)
11 (Lot 11)
5-43

It's pictured alongside an HE shell for comparison.

Would anyone have any engineering drawings or marking drawings or other information on the 3.7" shrapnel?

Thanks,

Graeme

Attachments

• 14.08.20-1a.jpg
    14.08.20-1a.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 14.08.20-2a.jpg
    14.08.20-2a.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 68
Somehow yours seems to be different, as the top part of the body is longer.

Attachments

• 20200814_134819.jpg
    20200814_134819.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
There were 2 lengths of the shrapnel shell, i think one was almost full (HE) Length.

Somehow yours seems to be different, as the top part of the body is longer.

Thanks pzgr40, even though this documentation says it is a Mk 2 C shrapnel, I think it may be the earlier Mk 1 C projectile that had a screw in top ogive section. I have a 1939 3.7" handbook that shows a Mk 1 C projectile only with the separate top section. Mine is definitely one-piece construction and appears to be shorter.

There were 2 lengths of the shrapnel shell, i think one was almost full (HE) Length.

Thanks kahu1, as per above, I think the mk 1 and 2 projectiles were different lengths. I need an engineering drawing of the Mk 2.

According to this doc, MkI is fitted with a head screwed and a fuze socket.
11.5in length without fuze

MKI.jpgMK1C.jpg3.7 MK1 SHRAP.jpg

Thanks Minenaz16, mine is the later Mk II C projectile that is one-piece with no screw on head, and is about 11.3 inches long without fuze (10.8 inches bare shell without brass fuze socket). I'm chasing more detailed info on the Mk II C shell.
Cheers, Graeme