What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question over marks in french fuzes

no3nh4

Hello all,

A question. What is the meaning of the letters "CHAP" on a French fuze? And the letters L.M.A.?

Thank's in avance.

DSC_0020_recorte.jpgDSC_0016_recorte.jpg

Hi all,

The first fuze on the left is the EC1 fuse manufactured by Schneider for export. The second fuze is manufactured by the Saint-Chamond company, for export too. It is equal to the Belgian S/18 and the Mexican Mondragon.
I think that the Saint-Chamond fuze was sent to Spain to participate in a competition for the adoption of a regulation fuze, together with several 7.5cm caliber artillery pieces. The cannons were bought, but the fuse was not. The fuse that was chosen was the German Krupp 17 "model 1896.

Both fuzes are in a Museum of Spain, specifically in the Museum of Military History of Cartagena.

Greeting

Last edited:
Hello,
-First fuze : not exactly EC1 (different base) but very similar, Schneider export. I don't know what markings mean.
-Second fuze : this fuze used to be marked St Chd. I don't konw what CHAP means.

Hello,

Another fuze Schneider marked with CHAP, used in the Spainh Civil War in a canon mexican Mondragon of 70mm model 1898.
Maybe a marking for export?

20200819_072924_peq.jpg 20200819_072759.jpg