What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID FUZE : US WW2 5in HE Navy

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
In my area we often find unexploded ww2 US Navy 5in HE or SMK (WP) shells.
HE shells are usually fuzed MK18 series + base fuze.
We found one with a strange fuze (damaged) - base plugged. Same shape as time Mk18 but no markings and no scale.
Seems to be a percussion fuze (all made of Brass).
Does anyone one know the designation ?

FUZE 5IN NAVY.jpgFUZE 5IN NAVY 2.jpgFUZE 5IN NAVY 3.jpg

Last edited:
Sebastian, is the "fuze" brass or steel? One combination uses a solid steel nose plug with an auxiliary detonating fuze underneath. The aux det is a cylinder about 1-1/4 inches in diameter and 2-1/4 inches long. They used this combination to penetrate hard material before detonation. The steel nose plugs aren't usually marked.

All brass. Exactly same shape as Mk18 but no markings, no time ring.
Time Mk18 were used with impact base fuze.
A plug is fitted on base (instead of fuze). So I assume it's a pdf.

The fuze is pretty much damaged. Isn't it posiible that due to impact on a hard surface the scale and markings are scraped of and not visible anymore and that it is an all brass time fuze, like some Mk 18's or a Mk 42 ?

The fuze is pretty much damaged. Isn't it posiible that due to impact on a hard surface the scale and markings are scraped of and not visible anymore and that it is an all brass time fuze, like some Mk 18's or a Mk 42 ?

I don't think, I should recover remnant of markings or scales, even if this fuze is damaged.

Another example found on same 5in HE (with base fuze).
This Mk18 fuze is in a very bad condition but markings remain.
mk18 damaged.jpg

Last edited:
I have found examples of the Nos 117 and 119 with all markings rubbed off by impact with the ground, while some others are still readable. It just depends on what the shell impacted with. It is best to see several dozen examples from different ground types to get a good idea.

I cleaned the fuze today and made other photos, no markings.
The brass is very damaged. Markings could be erased.
I cleaned myself the base too, so not a plug, but a fuze.
Conclusion : the head fuze could be a Mk18

IMG_0116.jpg