What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Mk V11 Depth Charge

ron3350

Photos of an Australian Navy Mk V11 Depth Charge I saw in a local shop. 1944 Dated.
A bit rusty but quite good condition. I like the ID label on the top. A bit big for my collection but would go well with my sectioned (M) Depth Charge.

Attachments

• DC MkV11 a.jpg
    DC MkV11 a.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DC MkV11 b.jpg
    DC MkV11 b.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 56
  • DC MkV11 c.jpeg
    DC MkV11 c.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 52
I do not know what price he asks, but I would shurely buy it. Could be interesting trade material for the future.

Yes I thought the same when trying to sleep last night . $550 I bought it today after posting these photos. Goes well with my smaller depth charge. Where do you see these now-days.
What colour paint should it have? Should I remove the rust?

Looks like a wise investment.
Bet you didn't get buyers remorse, also known as that sinking feeling when you spend too much.

Thanks for trying to make me feel better and that I spent wisely? I never saw other DC to compare any prices. I now OWN it so will sleep tonight. One in the hand etc. etc.

I think they are quite scarse, especially in your part of the world where ammo is not to be found in abundance. I've never seen one in collectors hands in this part of the world, only in EOD collections in Germany , and in naval musea. A wise investment for the future I think, the value will only increase.
For the moment I would not paint it, but leave it as it is. A couple of years ago there was this australian site selling the fuze for it. I will look if I can find it back.

Last edited:
Ron,

Great buy! Congrats!!!

I have never seen one before either ..............

Drop it into a tub of molasses + water (10% Molasses /90% water) for a couple of weeks and the rust should just scrub off - the old farmer's rust treatment for large objects.

Would look great sectionized, but one would normally have duplicates prior to doing that.

Hope you have stock up on instant noodles before you bought it!! (LOL)
Cheers
Drew

BTW - I thought you guys were in lockdown??? Hahaha - OK must be under the essential items...................

It is an essential item... when removing crocodiles from your swimming pool

I also think a good buy Ron. Never seen one before. I have occasionally seen the hydrostatic fuzes for sale, so you have a chance of picking one up eventually. I would also de rust it in a molasses bath as Drew suggests. Who is the maker stamp on the ID plate- MO?

i used to own one of those depth charges.i found several of them in a scrap yard 30 years ago.they were concrete filled,so i cut a section of the plate out and used a hammerdrill to chip it out,then welded the section back in.we also found the "t" launching piece that it sits on,but didnt save any of them as they were just big lumps of steel.we also found squid bombs(concrete filled)2pr,3pr projectiles,gun parts,ammo boxes and tons of stuff we didnt recognize.
here are some photos of the scrap yard and my depth charge which i painted navy grey.
also a photo from a supply board catalogue from maribyong dated 1931.im not sure what color the stripe would be,maybe red or green

Attachments

• P1040159.jpg
    P1040159.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 35
  • P1040158.jpg
    P1040158.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 35
  • P1040160.jpg
    P1040160.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 36
  • P1040161.jpg
    P1040161.jpg