What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dopp. Z C/92 peculiarity... and rescue...

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_5673.jpgIMG_5674.jpgIMG_5638.jpgIMG_5639.jpgIMG_5640.jpgIMG_5643 (2).jpgIMG_5642.jpgIMG_5641.jpg
Good morning,

Thought this might be of interest, a Dopp Z 92 fuse atop a 15cm Shrapnel ogive, (first two images) but with the timing ring upside down....
This fuze is about as wedged in to its ogive as is possible. The thought crossed my mind that it may have been stripped at some point and reassembled incorrectly, but looking at the rings, they are pretty compressed together? Any thoughts from members would be appreciated.

The other images show a Dopp Z 92 'rescued' from a knackered, rusted ogive. Something I'd almost given up on, as the fuze, which I wanted to save, didn't look too bad, but heat and penetrating oil just wouldn't loosen it up. I thought it was a lost cause, till I figured out a way to fracture the ogive.
A lot of cutting and drilling later I was able to knock a metal wedge into the cut near the threads hard enough to fracture the last uncut metal and expand the fuze socket. The fuze unscrewed effortlessly, and with a bit of cleaning came out really nice.
Don't give up on the tricky projects, it might just be a diamond in the rough! There's always a way....

Cheers!