What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project M104 and P59

MarcdeB

I recently got hold of two old rusty ammunition boxes in an antiques shop.

The first is an M104 of which due to rust I could hardly make out what it said on the lid and initially thought it was dated 1943. After getting home and starting cleaning it appeared I misread the year and actually is dated 1953. Slight disappointment.
The carry handles were rusted solid in an upright position and one of the hinges wasn't moving. But with the help of WD40 as well as some bashing and banging I managed to get it all moving again.
A previous owner had welded a locking mechanism on it. Lacking electric tools I managed to get it off using a vile. Once I started cleaning some original markings started emerging and it appears to have been a box for Thunder Flash.
I managed to straighten the lid so now it closes smoothly. All that is left is find a way to get rid of the weld remnants, sanding and repainting. I was considering markings for No.213 Fuzes but now am not so sure anymore.
The markings on the lid say "CLAUDE M104 MK I 1953".

The second box is a 1945 dated P59. Not as rusty as the M104 but still needs quite a bit of cleaning and restoring.
All parts are moving so not much to do there apart from giving it a bit of WD40 to run smoother.
This box too had a locking device mounted by a previous owner. This time not welded but one part riveted, fortunately in existing holes, and a small slot cut in the lid. Again using the vile I managed from the inside to remove the metal plate functioning as a lock piece. And here too I straightened the lid making it close smoothly. I sanded down the area around the slot in the lid and cut a little piece of a tin to close it off. Now waiting for delivery of metal epoxy to stick it on and fill it up. I have used this technique before and once I am done one can hardly see the repair. In the meantime I can start sanding the box making it ready to be repainted. I am considering markings for Bombs Hand Incendiary.
The markings on the lid say "P59 MK2 CMC 1945".

20200826_184031.jpg20200826_184052.jpg20200830_182948.jpgside01.jpgside02.jpg20200826_184225.jpgMarkings.jpgM104_P59.jpg