What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gyroscope for a Whitehead torpedo

My expert-friend is 100% sure a Zeiss "fabrik-nummer" should be stamped in somewhere (small letters, 5-siffre number).
His currently best guess is that you have a Richtungsweiser-Sehrohr C/XXVI (ie pre WW2).
He is interested to get in touch to discuss the possibility to get some photos of your device - maybe you can give me your adress so I can forward it (send me a mail at bergen31@yahoo.com )?

I had a second look and found this (I think):
"Facherschuss /sec.X0,8 sec."
I guess this have something to with some kind of shooting. Maybe it is related to the aiming of the guns of the "Königsberg"?
Facerschuss = Salvo. It was a normal tactic for surfaceships to launch 2, 3 or 4 torpedoes (depending on type of battery) in a salvo during an attack. The torpedoes were separated by either a time-intervall, by means of a slight individual course-variation (pre-angling of the gyroscopes) or a combination of both - ref the attached illustration from a norwegian post-war coastal-artillery manual.

Skjermbilde.JPG

Last edited:
The only "serial number" I can find is "Nr. 1". I am however not sure if this is a serial number.
According to the expert, that is the navy's propertynumber (first periscope made), while the fabrik-number is the manufacturer's number (Zeiss).

Thanks for the information and especially thanks to Natter! The serial number is: 53586. From what I understand, the item shown here is a part of a german «Richtungsweiser-Sehrohr C/XXVI» for torpedos. If anyone has a picture of such an item, it would be nice to see it!

6B1F5107-7A64-49E5-BFEA-6689D2CEBB4C.jpeg