What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun at Porthgain

Impossible to read the story, the site fills up with crap right away. But this looks
like a much older type of gun (re-issued), what was the bore size as best you could tell.

Hi here's the story from the link.
It looked to be about 57mm (6 pounder) calibre.
Dave.

A WWII gun has been raised from its watery grave 60 years after it was lost.The gun, which once belonged to the American Liberty Ship, Dan Beard, was found by divers off the northern coast of Pembrokeshire.
The ship was returning from the Normandy landings when it fell prey to a German U-Boat in December 1944. A total of 29 men lost their lives.
Now the gun has been placed on display in the tiny harbour village of Porthgain by diver Matthew Blakiston.
He discovered the gun earlier this summer on a diving trip at Strumble Head with his son Oliver, 12.
"My son is learning to dive and the wreck of the Dan Beard is a good one for him to learn on," said Mr Blakiston, who is licensee of the local Sloop Inn.

"We found the gun very close to the cliffs, just outside the main caves of Pwll Deri. It was probably uncovered by the big swells of winter. There it was, just lying in the sand.
"I thought to myself the gun was obviously in fairly good condition, it would be a shame not to get it up."
Mr Blakiston, Oliver and fellow diver Daniel Rowledge dived again to the wreck site and, with the aid of barrels, floated the gun to the surface.
Then, helped by Daniel's father Gordon and Des Harries, they towed it back to Porthgain.
The Pembrokeshire coastline is littered with wrecks from the earliest days of seafaring to recent times. Many are sited along the county's more treacherous northern coastline.
The Dan Beard was one of 2,750 Liberty Ships built by the Americans during the war and named after eminent citizens.
Built in 1943, the Dan Beard, named after one of the country's scouting pioneers, acted as a support vessel at the Normandy landings in June 1944.

It was on its way from Omaha Beach to Belfast when it was torpedoed by a German U Boat off the Pembrokeshire coast.
The ship broke in half, and while one section was lost in deep waters, the front section floated towards the coast
where it had to be blown up.
Mr Blakiston is now trying to find a surviving Dan Beard crew member John Murphy.
"I just think it's amazing that there's somebody still around who was on the ship when she was torpedoed," he said.
"I didn't raise the gun up for myself, but to remember the 29 lives that were lost there

Last edited: