What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8cm Austrian Shrapnel

SG500

Premium Member
A bit of an impulse buy and totally outside my area of collecting. I find the technology in making something like this fascinating. What a huge effort to go to just to make the frag rings alone (I realise a few of them are missing).

I understand its for one of these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_cm_FK_M._5

Does anyone have any information/drawings/photos of ones in good condition that they can post please. The fuze is of particular interest as its just a rusty lump, how does it operate and what does a complete fuze look like for this? What sort of case would go with it?

Measured calibre appears to be circa 74mm......but referred to as an 8cm, is that right or am I on the wrong trail here? By the look of the bands it doesn't look like 6mm has rusted off?

All INERT/empty etc.

Thanks for any help.

Dave.

IMG_5431.jpgIMG_5432.jpgIMG_5433.jpgIMG_5434.jpgIMG_5436.jpgIMG_5437.jpg

Last edited:
Measured calibre appears to be circa 74mm......but referred to as 8 cm

It more likely a 75 mm for the 75 cm M.15 mountain gun. The fuze is what you already have. And it's a HE shell, not a shrapnel.

It more likely a 75 mm for the 75 cm M.15 mountain gun. The fuze is what you already have. And it's a HE shell, not a shrapnel.

Thanks for the quick reply Alpini. Do you have any detail on the case please?

Dave.

Hello guys,
I will bet more for a 8cm M15 (the base band is higher on 8cm than on 7.5cm and fitted with a groove).
Your shell was very rusted and as far as I'm aware 8cm is in fact approximatly 76mm.

AH.jpg

Last edited:
Hello guys,
I will bet more for a 8cm M15 (the base band is higher on 8cm than on 7.5cm and fitted with a groove).
Your shell was very rusted and as far as I'm aware 8cm is in fact approximatly 76mm.

View attachment 162945

Thanks MINENAZ16, yes unfortunately very corroded.
Distance from the base of the band to the base of the projectile is about 47mm.
The band has a groove similar to the nice 8cm you show.
Dave.

Band.jpg

Thanks MINENAZ16, yes unfortunately very corroded.
Distance from the base of the band to the base of the projectile is about 47mm.
The band has a groove similar to the nice 8cm you show.
Dave.

View attachment 162946

so definitly 8cm.
I'm very not an expert on cases, but I saw on the net two sizes for 8cm M5 cases : 230mm and 280mm (I don't know the difference).