What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm projectile

Dwight

This is a 20mm projectile but there is no markings/colour on it. Is it possible to tell what type of projectile I have here?

2.jpg1.jpg

This looks like a 20mm Hispano Ball projectile from the profile and marks on the side or base have rusted off?

Many thanks for the quick answer! And yes, it looks like the marks have rusted off. The projectile seems to be solid and I guess "Ball projectiles" should be solid?

Yes it has no filling, just a base plate. Next time give the dimensions too.
It helps the guessing competition if we have a length, diameter and base diameter too. I hope I was correct with ID. Ron.

Again many thanks! The length is 83mm and the diameter at the belt is 21mm. The diameter at the base is 19,5mm.

Here are the measurements for a 20mm HS404 bullet.
It is not a ball but the dimensions are the same.

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_5.jpg
    Zuschneiden_5.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 55
I measured 3 loose 20mm Hispano Ball projectiles and got the following dimensions.
Length from 83.3mm - 83.6mm.
Base was 19.5mm. Body was 19.9mm. Drive band approx. 5mm wide.
From these dimensions I say it is possibly a 20x110 Hispano cannon Ball projectile. Could be British or USA or ???

Many years ago I found one of these projectiles on my favourite beach. It was just another lump of rust, probably a piece of shrapnel, so I thought. When I knocked off the rust the base plug fell off and the interior was hollow.