What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two unknown boxes

MarcdeB

I have two metal ordnance boxes dated 1945 which I am trying to identify.

Both only have embossed markings but I am trying to find out what model boxes they are and what they would have been used for.

One box has the following embossed in the lid: 20MM MK3 MOD 1 NOrd-758S W M 1945 INSP. F.N. DR 329498-1

The second box has this on the lid: AMMUNITION COMPONENT BOX, FERRO MFG. CO. 1945, INSP.-R.V. NOrd-8051

Can anyone tell me a bit more about these boxes? Were these in use at the end of the war or after it ended?
Unfortunately I forgot to take full photos of the boxes but these show the markings in the lids:

20200908_133536.jpg20200908_133648.jpg20200908_133700.jpg

Last edited:
The 20mm one looks like the 20mm Oerlikon (US) for the US Navy. These were originally painted light grey with black stenciling, but have been used for a number of other Naval stores in to the 1980's, often found as marked for flares, sonar buoys, etc.

The 20mm one looks like the 20mm Oerlikon (US) for the US Navy. These were originally painted light grey with black stenciling, but have been used for a number of other Naval stores in to the 1980's, often found as marked for flares, sonar buoys, etc.

Thanks. I bought it many years ago and when someone was looking for US containers he told me this one was British. Seems he was wrong and me thinking it was British. So I will have to repaint and sell on as I am only interested in British Ordnance. :)

I've been able to take a photo of both boxes. On the left is the 20mm box which seems to be US Navy, on the right the ammunition component box which to me looks fairly similar so I am guessing this might also be US. I hope someone can confirm this.

20200914_114422.jpg 20200914_114533.jpg