What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown fuze or booster?

Alpini

Premium Member
Hello,

even after some evenings of searching I am unable to identify this unknown object - I don't even hve the smalles idea. It has been cut because it was once part of a 2nd WW german EOD collection. Whoever made this section didn't pay much attention to produce a quality piece because it's cut in a 40° angle and it is not really straight.

It's really hard to tell about it's function because it has nearly no moving parts. Maybe it's no fuze but a gaine but the thick brass plate makes no sense then. It seems the whole object was tin plated.

It is 92 mm long, thread diameter ~37-38 mm, base plug diameter 50,0 mm.

Attachments

• UnknownFuze.jpg
    UnknownFuze.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Cleaned it up a little bit and took photos of dismantled parts. Maybe someone has an idea?

Threads are all metrical, the main thread is a M38x2,5.

Attachments

• IMG_20200913_003313.jpg
    IMG_20200913_003313.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200913_003507.jpg
    IMG_20200913_003507.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200913_004027.jpg
    IMG_20200913_004027.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 43
Alpini,

How about an artillery primer? The centre of the brass cap has been relieved, where, if it were a primer, one would expect the firing pin to strike (on the opposite side). Although metric, what thread form is it?

TimG

The "gaine" is without any holes so I think a primer can be excluded. The 60° thread gauge fits perfectly on all threads (2.50 mm, 1.25 mm and 1.00 mm pitches).

But I forgot to mention one maybe helpful fact: the large thread for the brass cap is right hand but all other threads are left hand. Left hand threads I mostly know from base fuzes for shells for rifled barrels (right hand) to prevent the parts beeing unscrewed by rotational inertia. The small brass parts inside are fixed and don't move and I don't see a firing pin. So still a mystery what it could have been used for.

Last edited:
Interesting little thing...
I may be talking a load of tut, but I couldn't help but think it looked a bit like the little 'horns' you see on sea mines (something I know bugger all about....).