Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 665 Posts

Plastic butterfly

I'm never quite sure about the wave of plastic that appears to be infiltrating our area of collecting, but this is the first time I've seen a plastic butterfly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-Germa...sAAOSw6FFfSCU5

Yes, if like me you're a bit of an SD2 nerd you will see there are some things wrong with this, like the fuze and springs, but to be fair its a good effort for a fraction of the price of a decent real one and being plastic hopefully nobody can pass it off as being real in future years.........
    Last edited by SG500; 12th September 2020 at 05:59 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SG500 For This Useful Post:

spotter (12th September 2020)

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,070 Posts
    I know I've always been a bit biased on "restoring" and fakes, but in my eyes this is not collecting. There is no history to this piece, nothing can be learned from it. It is nothing more than modeling, which has nothing to do with our pursuit. I see this more and more on fuzes and projectiles used as "stuffers". At least these are easier to prove as fakes.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 537 Posts
    Do not forget that in some countries one needs a perit and a exemption from law (like the Netherlands) to collect (even empty) ammunition. So for clubs that (for instance) restore armoured vehicles or reenactors it can be interesting to fill the ammo racks with fake ammo, as it does not require a permit or an exemption, and you do not have the trouble of every city or village where you appear having trouble with police that give their own -personal- interpretation to the law.
    This is exept of cource for fake handgrenades or landmines that are forbidden under the imitation law that forbids even the posession of items that mimics handgrenades, mines or weapons.

Thanks
    Not forgotten. As an American I held a Dutch License to collect for over 12 years. I fully understand the difficulties faced by many of the European collectors and advise my US colleagues to take care and behave, lest we become the engineers of our own difficulties. Even here however I am seeing more and more "collectors" that are embracing 3d printers as a means of filling holes in their collections. I see it as a part of the current culture of wanting things Now, rather than putting in the work and time.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 665 Posts
    I hear what you say.
    My view is.......... There are a small minority who are fortunate to be given great items, be it from training schools, museums etc. I've talked to a few of the old timers who have stories of being given loads of items when museums closed etc. Very lucky, right place at the right time etc. There are a larger group who are fortunate to have reasonable funds who can buy or at least sell items in their collection to buy that rare elusive and often expensive piece and I include myself in that category. Then there are some who are perhaps starting out or who have less funds and having a gap filler is preferable.
    Why do I collect? Apart from the historical/technology aspect, for me a third of the fun is the hunt, a third is having the item on the shelf and a third is letting it go and making someone else happy, consequently I have a very fluid collection.
    Back to my original comment about not being sure about plastic....... If people are happy with a plastic item that cannot be passed off for the real thing in the future, so avoiding the gene pool getting contaminated, I'm good with that. If it cultivates their interest and they end up spending more on the real thing then even better, we can't take it with us when we go to the next world so hopefully the younger generations who currently have less funds will be able to afford all the good stuff we currently own in future years.
    Dave.
    Last edited by SG500; 17th September 2020 at 08:07 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SG500 For This Useful Post:

Andysarmoury (18th September 2020), Slick (17th September 2020)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 558 Posts
    Have never had a problem with plastics. They fill a void. And, if considering their source/provenance, have their own "history". Maybe some day the real thing will come along. If not, plastic will do. Am just as proud of some of the plastics in the collection as I am the rare and unique pieces. Would love to have one of those plastic butterflies.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:

SG500 (17th September 2020)

Thanks
    No argument Dave, but I note that you added the caveat "that cannot be passed off for the real thing in the future". Every serious collector has encountered fakes, renovations, repaints and repairs, all frequently passed off as original and correct. With 3d printing as an emerging and rapidly improving technology and more and more business being conducted via the internet, I don't have to look too deeply into my crystal ball to see the future of this. I have yet to meet one of these folks whose ultimate goal isn't for the perfect copy that cannot be told from the original. Not usually for the wrong reasons, but 10-20 years down the line and a few owners later......

11. The Following User Says Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

SG500 (17th September 2020)