What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the thickness of the steel?

MarcdeB

I don't have the tools to measure the thickness of the steel for a C224 restoration project, in particular the thickness of the lid.
I am in doubt between buying metal sheet of 0.75mm or 1mm thickness.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Run of the mill mild steel sheet is about .80. Its all about finding who can supply what. You will find it difficult to get a imperial equivalent size in mms exact or visa versa. I think common sizes are .80, 1.00, 1.20 and 1.8, but i could be wrong. Whats it for?.

Last edited:
Run of the mill mild steel sheet is about .80. Its all about finding who can supply what. You will find it difficult to get a imperial equivalent size in mms exact or visa versa. I think common sizes are .80, 1.00, 1.20 and 1.8, but i could be wrong. Whats it for?.

I have a C224 of which a section has been cut out of the edge of the lid which I intend to repair. I have a metal sheet of 0.5mm thick but that is slightly too thin. Been looking online and found I can get 0.75mm or 1mm thick at Wickes. My guess is I would be better off getting the 0.75mm metal sheet and just make it even using resin epoxy to make it invisible once I paint it. Don't want to risk too thick metal sheet.