What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UXO ID please.

doppz92

Premium Member
Hi. I found this photo on internet, and these shells look somewhat "weird" to me. The picture apparently was taken not so long ago in Irak by an EOD team. I haven't any measurement nor any idea of the period they were fired or for which purpose (combat, training, proof?) . It looks like there's no fuze and the intriguing detail is the 2 groves on the noze of the projectiles. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6314.jpg
    IMG_6314.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 110
As posted on my Twitter feed...

They would seem to be inert 100 mm 53-PBR-412 (53-ПБР-412) practice tracer projectiles that emulate the 53-BR-412B (53-БР-412Б) armour-piecing high explosive tracer (APHE-T) projectile.

0.jpg

If you want what will be seen stencilled on the projectile (if not so rusty) and not its full division 53 GAU (later GRAU) index code, then PBR-412 (ПБР-412).

An image showing a 53-BR-412B (top) APHE-T and 53-PBR-412 (bottom) practice tracer is below.

EhFI9erWAAAwFZ3.jpg

Last edited:
I hope this is just a demonstration because I would not proceed like that to destroy this kind of shells (!!) so as not to find them scattered 200 meters away...

I hope this is just a demonstration because I would not proceed like that to destroy this kind of shells (!!) so as not to find them scattered 200 meters away...

I have never been involved in EOD in any way, but was thinking that surely must be a bad idea if those are solid steel projectiles.