Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.

Thread: UXO ID please.

Premium Member
    Thanks

UXO ID please.

Hi. I found this photo on internet, and these shells look somewhat "weird" to me. The picture apparently was taken not so long ago in Irak by an EOD team. I haven't any measurement nor any idea of the period they were fired or for which purpose (combat, training, proof?) . It looks like there's no fuze and the intriguing detail is the 2 groves on the noze of the projectiles. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    As posted on my Twitter feed...

They would seem to be inert 100 mm 53-PBR-412 (53-ПБР-412) practice tracer projectiles that emulate the 53-BR-412B (53-БР-412Б) armour-piecing high explosive tracer (APHE-T) projectile.

0.jpg

If you want what will be seen stencilled on the projectile (if not so rusty) and not its full division 53 GAU (later GRAU) index code, then PBR-412 (ПБР-412).

An image showing a 53-BR-412B (top) APHE-T and 53-PBR-412 (bottom) practice tracer is below.

EhFI9erWAAAwFZ3.jpg
    Last edited by Eggburt1969; 18th September 2020 at 08:23 AM.

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,055 Posts
    I hope this is just a demonstration because I would not proceed like that to destroy this kind of shells (!!) so as not to find them scattered 200 meters away...
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by EOD personnel .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MINENAZ16 View Post
    I hope this is just a demonstration because I would not proceed like that to destroy this kind of shells (!!) so as not to find them scattered 200 meters away...

I have never been involved in EOD in any way, but was thinking that surely must be a bad idea if those are solid steel projectiles.