What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cartridge electric engine starter

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
I found today fired cartridges No9 Mk2 and No10 Mk3 for starting aircraft engines (brass case in container with designation markings).
I'm looking for documentations (diagrams)
Does anyone know what aircraft use these cartridges ?
What is the pyrotechnic mixture inside ? (propellant powder ?)
Regards

mk3.jpeg

Last edited:
Minenaz16,

I've got Chapter and Verse on them - but you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

TimG

These cartridges were used for starting Avon engines in Canberra and Hunter aircraft. I think the cases were filled with cordite.

The starters were not Coffman starters, but the cartridge produced a lot of gas which drove a starter turbine which span up the engine.

Coffman starters were fitted to piston engines and used a smaller cartridge that drove a piston. The movement of the piston was used to crank the engine.

Coffman starters were fitted to Chipmunks among many other aircraft.

Last edited:
Here are photos of the charge from an Australian No.10 Mk2 cartridge.
Solid propellent with a centre hole and an igniter at the base. Case made by MF in 1970.

Charge side view.jpegBottom of charge.jpgTop of charge.jpeg

Good condition tin, i have a few but all the ones i have seen the lid tends to have deteriorated finish, might be due to the 'flex' (pop out) function of the tin lid.

Minenaz16,

Here you are - (somewhere I've got a more comprehensive list as to what cartridge was used in which aircraft - but can't find it)

TimG

P.S. These are early publications - thus the Canberra may well have used the No. 10 later in service
IMG_0905.jpgIMG_0906.jpgIMG_0907.jpgIMG_0908.jpgIMG_0909.jpgIMG_0910.jpgIMG_0911.jpgIMG_1312.jpgIMG_0802.jpgIMG_0841.jpgIMG_0831.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot TimG.
Very interesting pyrotechnic device which is not an ammunition.

Back in the day we used to see some really odd designs of starter cartridges, received as "code H" destruction requests when they became outdated. I wish I'd saved some examples as they could be very strange. I don't see much available any more, but have a couple examples of each type mentioned. Does anyone have a number for the Orpheus cartridge?

IMG_1767.jpg IMG_1768.jpg IMG_1769.jpg IMG_1770.jpg