What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My latest additions to the collection

wichitaslumlord

Premium Member
I just returned home from the Chickasha Oklahoma Militaria Show. Despite the pandemic, over 300 tables were filled with militaria collectables of all types and the attendance was good. I had one of my best and most diverse hauls of inert ordnance from any show. Some of the highlights are a 1,000 lb U.S. bomb, a Cooper WW1 bomb, a lovely #36 Mk1 Mills marked R.B.D., an interesting cutaway of an S-mine, and a scattering of other inert items.
Any help with identification of the 57mm silver painted projectile would be helpful. It measures 19.5cm tall from the base to the top of the fuze well. The only marking I can see is a large letter R on the base.

Also, the Mills is marked R B D on the body, lever, and base plug. It also has a Bakelite fill plug, which I have not seen before. What maker is that and where were they located?

All comments and information are welcome! THANKS! Pat

100_8986.jpg100_8985.jpg100_8987.jpg100_8988.jpg100_8989.jpg100_8990.jpg100_8991.jpg100_8995.jpg

A very nice haul of ordnance.
The RBD grenade (and FLH) is the common Australian grenade made by R.B.Davis, Victoria, Australia.
They may be scarce in USA. Bakelite filling plugs are not as common as metal ones.

Further to Ron's reply

R.B. Davies Pty. Ltd., Marrickville, Sydney, Australia. Manufacturers of builders' and general hardware.

Also made No. 68 grenades.

TimG

P.S. 450 Illawarra Road.

Last edited:
My mistake. I thought it was Davies but I used D.Lynn books as a reference. The entry must be incorrect. Still a great book.

Hi @wichitaslumlord,
what kind of fuze is that cutaway presentation model in your 3rd picture ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.

My thanks to ron3350 and TimG for the information. I am delighted to have a fully matching Australian made Mills. REALLY NEAT!! Nice original Mills are a bit scarce over here, but this one is extra scarce.

Bellifortis, as for the factory presentation cutaway fuze, I believe it is for the 2.75 in rocket but I have no idea which model it is or what it's function was. The base is engraved: (U.S. Naval Ordnance Test Station) (Emerson Electric Co. of st. Louis Mo.)
If anyone else knows, please let us know.
Thanks, Pat

The 57mm projectile is odd...something about it says homemade but I'm not sure. Driveband seems to thin and dainty to be real but who knows. You said the only marking was an R?

The silver painted projectile looks like it is a pre WW1 German 6cm boat gun HE projectile. Difficult to see from the picture but it should have a brass adapter to go with what appears to be a transit plug. Removing the silver paint should reveal a date and the Imperial German 'M' below crown mark an inch or so below the nose.

WOW!!! You guys were dead on. THANKS!!! I RARELY remove paint or restore items as the current condition sometimes has actual significance, no matter how strange it may appear. But, this poor projectile had been assaulted twice, first with a coat of gold paint and then a super thick coat of silver. A painstaking removal revealed no underlying paint and a flawless original projectile. It is marked: 942 followed by the Imperial crown mark above the "M". Below that is a large "M". The 3rd line is: IV 02. There is a large "R" stamped on the base. The transport plug also has the Imperial crown above an "M". Does anyone know what the date is? 1902?
I have attached pictures of the markings. Also, I actually measured the diameter with calipers and it is 59.70mm.

Does anyone have a spare case????:wink:

Thanks again, Pat
100_8996.jpg100_8997.jpg100_8998.jpg100_9002.jpg100_9004.jpg

Last edited:
Shellcases for this gun are not very difficult to find. I do not know about the fuze.