What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 37mm Shell French?

doppz92

Premium Member
Hi, I have this 37mm shell, which I'm told is French. However, it doesn't fit any of the ones I know. It's pretty long, 106mm and has 2 large driving bands and no grooves on them. The base unscrews and seems to be just et plug. No trace of any fuze. Does anyone knows what this shell is? It came on a 37-85 trench art case, but I don't think they were meant to be together.

Attachments

• IMG_6398.jpg
    IMG_6398.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6395.jpg
    IMG_6395.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6396.jpg
    IMG_6396.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6397.jpg
    IMG_6397.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 27
Hello,
Unknown to me. Chrome shells I saw were made for display by factories (export ? Navy ?)
Bands are not typical for French 37mm even if we can see sometimes bands without groove on shells made after ww1.
Same here : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/224099804739

s-l1600.jpg

Maybe an optical effect, but could you check the diameter of the top bourelet (seems to be greater than the diameter of bands)

Another one (unknown to me - Japanese ?) with big bourelet, maybe for same gun but with only one band (116mm long)

37mm 116mm long.jpg

Last edited:
Hi MINENAZ16, Diameter at the base is 36mm, driving bands 37.8mm and bourrelet is exactly 37mm.

Last edited:
The first one shown is the Mle 1888 with the fine threads on the base. I suspect the bands are replacements (not military) and the whole is heavily
plated, even obscuring the marks one might see on the base. It would I think belong in the decorated case now, though not in it's original state. The one with the wide band, never seen anything like that before, is there a joint in the band ? But I defer to others on that one :tinysmile_cry_t2:
As for the two on ebay , not even weasely trench art souvenir sellers would go to the trouble of making up whole projectile bodies,
so where did they originate ?

Last edited:
The first one shown is the Mle 1888 with the fine threads on the base. I suspect the bands are replacements (not military) and the whole is heavily
plated, even obscuring the marks one might see on the base. It would I think belong in the decorated case now, though not in it's original state. The one with the wide band, never seen anything like that before, is there a joint in the band ? But I defer to others on that one :tinysmile_cry_t2:
As for the two on ebay , not even weasely trench art souvenir sellers would go to the trouble of making up whole projectile bodies,

Hello Gspragge,
I don't know a model 1888 like this ?

Hello Gspragge, I thought at first glance that is was made up, but no, it's definitely a proper projectile. And dimensions don't match those of an 1888 type nor does the shape. Length 106mm (body only, the protruding plug adds 3mm) bands width: 5.8mm, gap between the bands 7.5mm, first band being placed 10.1mm from bottom, no groove. The plug is thicker than those of the 1888 type: 17.7mm, screw 30.3mm. There's no markings and the chrome plating is actually quite thin. It could be a presentation shell plated by the manufacturer as MINENAZ16 suggested it.

Indeed with such details you must be correct - but why such variance from the regular kind ? If a new pattern for commercial sale
then it must have failed as none seem to have tuned up otherwise.

Indeed with such details you must be correct - but why such variance from the regular kind ? If a new pattern for commercial sale
then it must have failed as none seem to have tuned up otherwise.

what do you call model 1888 ?