What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peculiar 7.62 X 39

Slick

The following was posted on the ACE OF SPADES blog. Can anybody ID these rounds?

"These are 7.62x39 rounds like I have never seen before after 25 years of SKSs and AKs. They are shiny polished steel cases, lacquer sealed primers/bullets and have a pimple on the tip of a solid bullet - not hollow point. I bought an AK from a guy years ago and he had a magazine loaded with these. I have tried on and off to find out who made them and what the purpose the pimple serves.
oldgeezer 1 092020 scaled.jpg
oldgeezer 2 092020 scaled.jpg
Nice find, Oldgeezer! These are certainly a mystery to me too. How about it? Anyone know what these tipped rounds might be?"

In the Russian book I have on 5.45×39, 7.6239 and 9×39 ammunition, it’s a hunting bullet originally made (developed) at the Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works under the ‘Effect’ (Эффект, transliteration Effekt) brand name.

The book I have lists two versions, the 8M and 8M1, both with a protruding tip and weakened inner structure (i.e. expanding). They differ in that the 8M weighs 8 grams (123.5 gr) and would seem to have a flat (well slightly hollow) exposed lead base. The 8M1 weighs 8.13 g (125.5 gr) and would seem to have a short boat tail.

It may be seen in boxed ammunition sold under the now parent company Tula Cartridge Plant, the ammunition’s code being FMJ-1. It may also be seen under the Silver Bear ammo brand as the 8M1 Effect.

Some images below.

958345.jpg958349.jpg8299278.jpgpatron-7.62-39-56.jpg4108f4f2d798.jpg1.jpg

Yeah, Rick, a legit load. They were imported here for a short time a few years back and then disappeared. Definitely an odd-ball.