What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Made up oddity?

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I have attached a picture of an item that I have had for many years which originally came from and EOD collection of WW2 items in the US. It looks to be made up but with care to detail, the base being of steel and the upper grey part of wood. It measures exactly 5.5cm in diameter and 20.5cm in length. With the style of driving band it looks vaguely German, but that it just an observation. It has no markings.

Questions that come to mind are why would it be made of wood and steel rather than just steel and what is it trying to be? Comments as always appreciated.
20200921_140133.jpg20200921_140157.jpg

I see a lot of wood pieces that are "stuffers" put together by non-technical people that just want something to make the projectile look "right". Wood because it is easier to work with by people with limited capabilities or tool access. There are some wooden training pieces, but the stuffers are much more common. Not unlike many of the "repairs" that we see on this forum.

I'll go along with US-Subs, the base red bit looks like a real proj. which should be identifiable here although not finish machined as I think the rear spigot ought to be threaded for fuze or tracer, why have it if not for those reasons? the red bit is more complex than a home made shell to go in a case. As to the wood I'd be tempted to see if it comes out. Mindful of 30mm DEFA practice which had a steel lower half and an Aluminium upper fixed to it with tracer compound filling both. Of course could be totally wrong.

Based on bright red color and wood it could be the FUB from a class.

The Fxxxxx up bullet was awarded to anyone who "earned" it. They keep it on their desk until it is "earned" by someone else.

One of ours was a bright orange 90mm. Just so others would know who was deserving.