What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID assistance please.,

AussieBri

Ordnance approved
Hi guys, I have a work mate in Australia trying to ID the following item. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_7402.jpg
    IMG_7402.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_7406.jpg
    IMG_7406.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7400.jpg
    IMG_7400.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7404.jpg
    IMG_7404.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7403.jpg
    IMG_7403.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7405.jpg
    IMG_7405.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7407.jpg
    IMG_7407.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7401.jpg
    IMG_7401.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 71
It' a combined start motor (lower part) and sustainer motor( upper part). The fast burning sticks bring the rocket up to speed, the big slow burning stick maintains the speed.

It would seem to be a boost/sustain motor assembly from a Seacat missile.

The sectioned version below has a slightly different motor, but I guess it depends on the motor's mark.

i-rHn3v5L-X3.jpg

A non-sectioned image.

Shorts_Seacat_(Robot_07)_SAM_001.jpg

Last edited:
That would be interesting, as I am currently bussy with a cutaway model of such a rocket.

Maybe it's a Tigercat motor. Couldn't find any sectioned examples during a brief internet search.

It's possible. Unfortunately I have next to no data on the Seacat series, or the ground-based Tigercat. I only rewrote the UK's Seawolf SAM entry when I rewrote all the surface and multi-domain launched guided weapons in the Janes book 'Janes Weapons: Naval' when I worked for them.

The upper smaller chamber in the sectioned missile image I posted could be a propellant-powered pressure accumulator. Its high-pressure gases used by the control actuators of the four control surfaces (wings).

While looking for more data of the Squid system's mortar bombs and looking at the external profile of the motor again, I may have been barking up the wrong tree.

It may well be the boost/sustainer motor section of joint Australian/UK developed Malkara anti-tank guided missile. Check the plate below that covers the marking of the missile's motor, and also its shape.

Malaka Motor.jpg