What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 US Mk III aerial bomb, need advice.

I picked this up for $70, with the intent of restoring it. Condition: 4-5 coats of paint ( red, blue, silver, brown,green) rust bleeding through and not heavily pitted, but missing a fin. Fin can be easily reproduced ( 0.065" thick). I plan to sand blast it and repaint to the original brown. My question, is it worth the time and money? What would the market value be for a restored MK 3?. Reviewing past posts, would $300 be in the ball park? All comments welcomed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 36
I started restoration. I Manufactured the fin, stripped the 5-6 layers of paint off. The paint color was finally mostly silver ( under the red, green, blue)with a black stripe with lettering ( unable to read) , under that was the original specified brown. Knowing the original color was specified brown, I find it interesting to see the silver color with lettering ( EDW....xxxx?).Two markings were uncovered punched into the casing ( not legible). Was at any time ( 1920's) post war aerial bombs officially painted silver? I plan to repaint in WW1 color of khaki brown.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 34
Leather brown, closest to " khaki brown" that I could find. Done.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 36