What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very early coiled case 37x94R

doppz92

Premium Member
Hi, I had this one for at least 40 years, a coiled case, 37x94R, pretty early case as the side is marked LOT 191 1888. I think this was once a blank round, hence the heavily crimped mouth which I believe retained a cork or paper mache plug. Can someone confirm this? TIA.

Attachments

• IMG_6543.jpg
    IMG_6543.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6542.jpg
    IMG_6542.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6541.jpg
    IMG_6541.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6540.jpg
    IMG_6540.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 36
I checked the Vol 1 Mellichamp book and pages 301-2 show a similar case but with a steel base made by Hotchkiss with HB logo in a diamond.
Lot 191 HB logo 1888 - 3 was noted as a US Navy contract. Coiled case with steel base.
A Blank is not shown in the book but mentioned as having a wad and roll crimp.
I tried to get info but this is the best I can do. Your case is a nice example.

I would accept it as a blank with out hesitation. Though it's use might be for the single shot
deck gun instead of the Revolving Cannon. The latter would (Russian examples Hotchkiss made & German examples) have a wooden head
to ensure smooth feeding.
I'm sure I have seen an American case with this kind of rolled in end, might have been a 37 x 136 H 1pr case, can't find the image.

Last edited: