What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Mortar Card Tube ID Please ?

Deckape

Hi All

I picked this up last weekend in a flea market. It actually had a load of woodworking chisels inside but the dealer was happy to sell me the empty tube ! I`m just wondering exactly what all the markings mean, I`m pretty sure its a Mortar transportation tube and obv from 1943, I assume H S is the filling and / M means mortar but stumped with the No.28 I. It is solid card with metal endings. Its approx 15" tall and 4" wide.
M.jpgM2.jpgCan anyone confirm what all the markings mean and if you have an example of what was inside in WW2 love to see it, cheers

Hi All

I picked this up last weekend in a flea market. It actually had a load of woodworking chisels inside but the dealer was happy to sell me the empty tube ! I`m just wondering exactly what all the markings mean, I`m pretty sure its a Mortar transportation tube and obv from 1943, I assume H S is the filling and / M means mortar but stumped with the No.28 I. It is solid card with metal endings. Its approx 15" tall and 4" wide.
View attachment 163469View attachment 163470Can anyone confirm what all the markings mean and if you have an example of what was inside in WW2 love to see it, cheers

What are the tube dimensions? Depotman

HS/M - Hugh. Stevenson and Sons, (Cardboard box manufacturers.) Pollard Street, Ancoats, Manc. “Clamps” Ardwick 3256

They had a number of factories, but Manchester was their HQ.

TimG

'Container No 28 Mk I' for 'Cartridge, BL, 5.5-inch for 80-lb Shell - Charge 2' is a possible candidate.

The 'M' denotes Manchester. For this manufacturer 'L' - London, 'B' - Birmingham and 'G' - Glasgow.

TimG