What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

two 18 pdr cases and two dragons

MaskedK

Hello
I want to share a recent discovery with you. This is a pair of English 18 pounder cases. They were engraved (trench art) by an Indochinese rifleman with two magnificent dragons.
The cartridge cases were recovered during the war in the Somme. And I saved them from the trash (a little too late, one of them was a little damaged).
Here are the photos.

6ql5.jpg7t7u.jpg33mj.jpg41pd.jpg56gw.jpg95vm.jpgakf7.jpgbnfk.jpgevx2.jpgp81q.jpgqnh9.jpgvl0z.jpgx8em.jpgzr5d.jpg

Cheers from France
Jean Loup

I usually hate trench art (vandalism) on cases but these are exceptional and worth saving.
They are Canadian made cases.

They seem to be genuine behind-the-lines made art - a fine pair of dragons.

Cases made by Montreal Locomotive Works/Company (MLW), one with a Northern Electric Co., Montreal primer (NECo) and one with a National Acme Co. Montreal primer (NA). The same acceptance examiner stamp on both (N) but different Lot examiners (G and J).

Those dents could likely be carefully removed without affecting the engraving much.

Falcon is correct. I have a series of mandrils made from 1" square steel with various diameters of steel pipe rings welded to each end.
Use a nylon soft hammer and just tap till the dints disappear. Takes time but will not damage the engraving.

Well worth repairing, post new images after you do it (I hope you will), These are extraordinary indeed.
You should try to get the inscriptions interpreted.

Hello

Thank you for the advice. But I won't touch those shell casings. I don't know how to do this. So ... if I don't know, I don't touch ... It would be worse! And by luck , the dragons are untouched :)
The inscription appears to be the artist's name in ideograms.