What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British pre-WW1 3pdr Training case or blank

Vasco Da Gama

I thought to post a few pictures for interest of a British 3pdr case made in 1904 and altered to a training device or blank. What makes me think this is more than a blank is the knurled edge to the rim. It does appear to be a lot of additional effort for just a blank, the mouth is also turned over very professionally. The primer pocket has also been altered to take a different form of initiator. Lots of stamping for somebody to interpret! Case length is 152mm, pictured alongside a standard 47x376 Nordenfelt case.CDE43F33-700B-447A-932E-0A066ABAD3F7.jpg8CE840E4-B6A1-429B-8000-E59DFA00FF55.jpgA536BC84-41AE-4767-8790-2D50ABB48932.jpg12ACDFB0-AE45-401F-8F17-9B5A789335E7.jpg

I thought to post a few pictures for interest of a British 3pdr case made in 1904 and altered to a training device or blank. What makes me think this is more than a blank is the knurled edge to the rim. It does appear to be a lot of additional effort for just a blank, the mouth is also turned over very professionally. The primer pocket has also been altered to take a different form of initiator. Lots of stamping for somebody to interpret! Case length is 152mm, pictured alongside a standard 47x376 Nordenfelt case.View attachment 163943View attachment 163944View attachment 163945View attachment 163946

It's not a 3-dr blank case nor a training case - it's a torpedo firing tube (marked 8.1/2 oz). It's certainly been converted from a well used (re-annealed and re-fired several times) standard 3-pdr. There are quite a few different lengths of these cases, marked with different 'oz' weights, for various torpedoes. Great find! Depotman

Well everyday is a school day! Many thanks for sharing the knowledge, I have been collecting for about 40 years and must have walked past these items in the past and ignored them as a cut case! As you say the Royal Navy had its money’s worth out of this example.

I have been collecting for about 40 years and must have walked past these items in the past and ignored them as a cut case!

Yep, I guess we all have been guilty and disregarded "cut down" cases over the decades - not any more now.................... key characteristics for torpedo impulse cases are:

1) Officially Shortened (visible signs of lathe turned on the inside of the top / internal colour differences)
2) Based stamp with a "oz" weight (i.e. 10 oz)
3) Long internal primer - top is 1cm below case mouth (fits in with first point above)

Here's an experimental case I stumble upon which was described as an 18pdr (it was being sold together with a 18pdr case):

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...orpedo-impulse-case?highlight=torpedo+impulse

and yes great find!!!

Cheers
Drew

BTW - 8.5 oz cases were normally used to surface launch 18" torpedoes.

Last edited: