What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for the right colour.

Stuka

Hi,

Over the last few weeks I've been restoring a 40mm HE cutaway.
I want to repaint is and I've bought some paint, but unfortunately the colour is not exactly right.
I know it should be BS381C-359 middle buff, but I can't buy British Standard colours over here, it's not even possible to get it mixed.
Does anyone know an alternative in other colour systems(eg ral, pantone, etc)

Thanks,
Thomas.

Apart from living on Earth where do you come from. For some reason BS381c 359 has been dropped. A lot of colours under BS381c have been dropped in the past and the names have changed also. Have a look at this which may help https://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp

I've been to the paint shop this afternoon and using your link I have found some alternative colour that should look more or less the same. I'll give it a try and if it looks apalling I will buy the spray paint from Ebay :)
Thanks for the quick replies!

Just had my spray delivered this morning so got right on it and sprayed my 25pdr HE and was very impressed with too.
cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 25pdr HE respray.jpg
    25pdr HE respray.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 39
Just had my spray delivered this morning so got right on it and sprayed my 25pdr HE and was very impressed with too.
cheers
Andy

Looks nice!
I painted my cutaway today as well, but I will paint it a second time tomorrow. I hope that will make it look a bit better.
Now i also need to find the right colour for the green band, does anyone know which colour that is?
I hope some Revell/Humbrol colour will do, as I just need a little bit of paint instead of a big can.

I also have some cutaways of relic projectiles which I want to restore and repaint, but I'll have to fill the rust pits first. What kind of filler/body putty do I need for this?

40mm cutaway as it was before restoring:
cutaway2.jpg

cutaway1.jpg

Painted:
cutaway3.jpg

cutaway4.jpg

I have used gloss paint as I find it a lot harder wearing finish, but then matt it down with very fine wire wool.
Cheers
Andy

Last edited: