What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 inch mortar launching cartridge, need help

Scott

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum. I live in Texas, USA and am in the process of legally re-activating (actually building in legal terms) a ML-2 inch MkVIII* mortar. The final outcome of my project will be to use the mortar with inert practice rounds in WW2 re-enactments and ordnance demonstrations. My question is related to the launching cartridge. I'm trying to figure out a modern day equivalent using either black powder or smokeless powder.

I've attached a cutaway from a User Handbook as well as partially quoted the cartridge description below:
"Internally, around the cap chamber is a cup shaped compressed paper wad above which is filled 10 grains of N.C.(Y) priming. A celluloid cup separates the priming from the main charge of 50 gr. Ballistite B16 upon which is assembled a cardboard disc, felt wad, cardboard disc and paper disc."

Can anyone provide some clarification regarding what is "N.C.(Y)?

Also, any idea what modern day powder would most closely resemble the burning characteristics of BALLISTITE, B.16?

Launching cartridge.jpg

I should also add that I'll be using Plastic Hulls as I can't find any paper hulls available in 28 gauge.