What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help finding practice rounds for 2 inch mortar. WTB tail fins / tail caps

Scott

Hello All,

I'm in the process of re-activating a British ML-2 inch MkVIII* airborne mortar. (perfectly legal here in Texas, USA if you file the correct paperwork) I've posted a question related to the launching cartridge as I'm trying to work up an appropriate load with 28 gauge shot shells. If you have any input. please post: [FONT=&amp]http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...ching-cartridge-need-help?p=314260#post314260

The purpose of this post is to seek help in locating either inert practice rounds I can use with the mortar or advise on how to build something that would be similar to the actual rounds. The end use will be in re-enactments and ordnance demonstrations.

I already have some solid aluminum inert fuze heads I can screw into existing bodies that were made previously by another re-enactor. I just hate to use WW2 bodies if I can find some type of post war body.
[/FONT]
IMG_1192.jpg

I also don't fully understand how these shells were propelled. All the examples I currently have are missing their cartridge transport caps.
IMG_1193.jpg

Will these shells launch consistently if they are missing the tail caps?
Does anyone have a source for tail caps that I can purchase?
Does anyone have a source of complete tail assemblies that I can purchase?

Lastly, in reviewing the form, I've seen several of these "proofs" posted. What are they?
DSCF5347.jpg
This "proof" looks like something I could possibly manufacture. But of course, it does not have a tail fin assembly. Would these rounds be launched similar to the standard mortar shell? Or used in some different way?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Loading information is not discussed on this forum, as the forum is for collectors of inert ordnance.

When fired, the gases generated in the propelling cartridge burst through the wall of the paper case passing through the series of holes in the tail, and the pressure of these gases trapped in the breech end of the barrel blew the mortar projectile out of the barrel.

A proof projectile was used to proof test barrels.

Sorry about the inquiry regarding the launching cartridges. I assumed since I was planning to launch Practice Rounds that are basically empty metal cans, that it would still be considered inert and that the launching cartridge would be a completely different item from the inert mortar round.

Thanks so much for explaining how the propelling charge worked.

You mentioned about the tail caps being shipping or transit caps, they are part of the tail fin and were not removed during firing. You would be better of making and using replica rounds out of plastic, the main body out of plastic bar and make your own tails in steel which will be much stronger than the original mazak ones which had a high failure rate if used a few times. Using a heavy weighted proof round a few times will end up knackering your mortar up.

Original 2" stuff is very hard to come by. Everyone goes mad when a tails goes for grabs even the tail caps are hard to find especially in the UK were millions were fired and used, theres hardly anything left. Your best bet would be to go on the Milsurps com forum for info as some guys in the states have done the same thing but to other weapons, there is a youtube video of a guy in the states who uses a Japanese knee mortar using plastic made rounds using shotgun blanks to propel them. Using original rounds and components would be equivalent to sacrilege, surplus for 2" dried up years ago.

Last edited: