What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17cm Minenwerfer projectile ID.....

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_5792.jpgIMG_5794.jpgIMG_5795.jpgIMG_5793.jpgIMG_5797.jpg

Good evening,

I am in the process of cleaning up this lovely little 17cm MWM, but not to repaint. It tells a story as is. Completely empty, FFE, it came to me caked in Black paint and rust, but beneath all the crud were the turning marks and the odd stamping or two. Sadly, the Zinc driving band is on its last legs but expected.
A couple of questions if I may:

1. The base has stamped '238 17' Would the 17 indicate the year?
2. On the body is a stamp formed of 4 tiny squares themselves making a larger square. Is this a manufacturers trademark or just an inspection stamp?
3. Is this a model 1916 MW? The reason I ask is that in my notes on German shells book, the interior illustration of the walls and base suggest so, but the base is not illustrated as having a base plate screwed on (although the book advises "Another version may exist with a base plate fixed with 5 screws").
I have several versions of 17cm MW, this being the only version with such a base.
4. Lastly, despite searching and reading all reference books I have, what is meant by the term 'Brand' mine?
5. Sorry. That was more than a couple of questions....

I don't have a great deal of info on MW's so would like to learn more, especially since lockdown I can now get around to cleaning the old girls up!
Many thanks in advance,

All the best.

Many thanks MINENAZ16 for the illustration/info, much appreciated. I have very limited info on MW's....
Do you know, was the base plate an improvement addition or an alternative manufacture?

Thanks again.

Many thanks MINENAZ16 for the illustration/info, much appreciated. I have very limited info on MW's....
Do you know, was the base plate an improvement addition or an alternative manufacture?

Thanks again.

alternative manufacture
(and maybe others)
Herta.jpgMarga.jpg

2. On the body is a stamp formed of 4 tiny squares themselves making a larger square. Is this a manufacturers trademark or just an inspection stamp?

It's a factory internal stamp but there should be a manufacturer stamp too.

4. Lastly, despite searching and reading all reference books I have, what is meant by the term 'Brand' mine?

=Incendiary (but your shell isn't one)

Many thanks Alpini much appreciated.
Sadly, I couldn't find any trace of a manufacturer stamp as yet, but still a way to go in terms of cleaning so you never know...

I had a suspicion Brand referred to a shell other than Gas or HE, but wasn't sure what, so thank you.
Strangely, regarding lathe turning marks, on another 17cm mw I have, the ogive has no turning marks despite being in good condition, yet the body has lathe marks. I'm assuming some of these shells had the ogive formed just by hammer / die forming to form a crude radius, just as long as the bourelet was precise?? Any truth in that?

Thanks again, always happy to learn more...

The shells of most Wurfminen were all forged because thin walled bodies were needed. This process may have been perfected during war until a point were it was useless to turn the ogives into shape. The inner sides of the forged blanks were also not machined sometimes and a hexagonal shape can be felt with the fingers.

Many thanks Alpini.
I have a great interest in the manufacturing of German , British and French shells of he first war era (hence all the questions).I did stumble across a piece of film footage recently showing a German munitions factory producing 17cm WM, but much abridged.
At one point, a chap is seen feeding what I assume is a Zinc/Copper strip under a small belt driven 'hammer' to hammer the strip into the shell driving band recess as it slowly rotates. The next shot shows the rifling studs being machined on a jig.
Shortly after the bands are seen being made by the pouring of molten Zinc into moulds which the shells 'stand' in. Just a couple of the interesting variations that seem to be used at the time.
So much work and precision for something ultimately destined for destruction.
Thanks!