What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm Star shell

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I have had this projectile for a number of years and have only now had a chance to look at it in detail. Before I started cleaning it it was encrusted with what appeared to be very hard sand mixed with rust. No paint was visible. Having now cleaned it a good amount of original paint survives. It appears to be painted red, over painted with a white band at the top and there are some remnants of grey on the red of the body.

The projectile has a typical driving band found on early British shells , particularly the 12, 14, 15pr and 2.95" ones, and there is no cannelure groove. The adapter is original to the shell and takes the 22/31 French fuze. The projectile measure 75mm x 279mm. As can be seen from the before and after picture of the base/inside this was a base eject shell.

I cannot find any reference to this type of star shell construction with the driving band and fuze combination. It is similar in design to the French star shell with a British driving band.

I’d welcome any ideas on exactly what it is.

20201008_115514.jpg20201008_115606.jpg20201007_170919.jpg

Hello,
This band sounds Navy.
Herewith examples of star shells with this shape :
75mm 1916 and 76mm 1923.
Regards

75MM MLE 1916 STAR.jpg76MM MLE 1923.jpg

This shell really looks like french but no more information (Very uncommon so maybe from Navy).
As you can see on diagrams Navy made different driving bands.
Waiting for other comments