What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm Practice Round

RogerKP

cannon shell.jpg This projectile is unpainted - if so, why is it not rusty? Would it have been coated with some sort of lacquer? I'm told that this type is tar filled - is this correct? There seems to be some confusion as to what was inside!
Thanks as usual for your help!
Roger

Probably had all the remnant paint wire brushed off, as the rotating band looks freshly cleaned also. Most of these round were dumped in water at the end of the war, and divers dig through the silt on the bottom of the lakes, recover the ammo, and inert it over the winter. The silt kept the oxygen from the metal components, so they can be in very good condition, except for the paint.

Not sure of the chemistry, but it is a tar-like substance.

It is not uncommon to find German canon ammunition without paint - the stencil was applied to the bare metal and then a lacquer applied. It is most common among practice rounds but other projectiles have been found too.
As for the 3cm practice round, some have been found containing tar or bitumen, with or without sand. This projectile is usually referred to as an "Anschiessgranate" or "ranging shell". Whether or not these particular shells with the domed zinc plug were used with an internal instability bar (to reduce range) and as such an "Uebungsgranate" or "practice shell is currently unclear to me.IMG_4520 (2).jpgIMG_4521 (2).jpg

Joerg,
kommen die dann immer mit den Gewichtsausgleichstab? Warum ist da nichts ueber dieses Geschoss in Der Handbuch der Flugzeug Bordwaffenmunition 1936 - 1945?
Do they always come with the balance - bar? Why is there no mention of this projectile in the above-mentioned book?

I have half-answered my own question but I challenge Joerg on the M-Geschoss Ub o.Zerl Type A identificationIMG_4522 (2).jpg

This is a "Anschießbolzen".....only for weapons function tests not for training.
This type of bullet are always unpainted.

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_20.jpg
    Zuschneiden_20.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Zuschneiden_21.jpg
    Zuschneiden_21.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 30
If this was used for weapons function tests, Rigby, could I call it an inspection round?

Last edited:
Sorry this has come up twice - can't get rid of it!!! If this was used for weapons function tests, Rigby, could I call it an inspection round?

Last edited:
Not really. "Anschuss" translates to accuracy proof in contrast to "Beschuss" which proofs or high-pressure tests the weapon. So testing rather than inspecting methinks.