What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can't figure out what this is exactly

earni74

Premium Member
I cannot work out what this would have been, it has the Hotchkiss thread as for the base fuze for the 2, 3 and 6 pounders, there are no legible stamps,thanks

Attachments

• 20201008_103327.jpg
    20201008_103327.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 20201008_103313.jpg
    20201008_103313.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 20201008_103257.jpg
    20201008_103257.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 180
It's not really my area of expertise. So did you have hotchkiss base fuze plugs which were stamped with large roman numbers in the UK? Parts of roman numbers are visible on the unknown piece here. If yes my guess would be an altered base fuze plug - maybe threaded to mount a shell on a plate.

I think Alpine is on the right track with Hotchkiss base fuze, there should be a large flange just above the thread at the 2 flats end of the fuze, looks like it has been machined off for some reason, seems to be relatively fresh machine (lathe work) mark in that area. Regards Ozzi.

Thats what I have meant. And the left part in the picture shows impressions from a vice. I guess it was held into a vice when hand cutting the thread into the base...

I agree that the internal thread does not look factory made.

An item that was modified as part of a so-called trench art piece seems a likely explanation.

I agree that the internal thread does not look factory made.

An item that was modified as part of a so-called trench art piece seems a likely explanation.

Hi all

looks like a french proj base fuse thread that had been cut on 2 sides to assist with removal.

cheers

Womble

sorry forgot to add - tracer as well

Last edited:
DSC_0677.jpgDSC_0676.jpg

Hi all again - please see complete tracer base fuse for british 2pdr .

cheers

womble

Last edited: