What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

monogram chemical shell

FZG76

Ordnance approved
Hello,

I found a marking inside a chemical shell 1WW.
I think it's a monogram between 444 and 17.
Does anyone know this symbol?

Thank you

1.jpg

Guess it's a german shell? If yes a better picture could help, this one looks like ingrain wallpaper :tinysmile_shutup_t2

But I think I don't have a record about this one.

Last edited:
Sorry I did not have success. It's one of the many still unknown factories. I found some references about this factory stamp in connection with "15 cm Gr. 12 verst." as seen on the attached picture (I think it's the same stamp) but haven't found a translation for the stamp.

//Edit: added a second picture with Lot number 354 / 1917 (yours has Lot 444). So with more than 444000 15 cm Gr. 12 produced in 1917 and the fact the the factory also produced the steel blanks for the 15 cm Gr. 12 it shouldn't be the smallest factory.

It would be nice to know on what type of shell you found the stamp?

Attachments

• Bild1.jpg
    Bild1.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Bild2.jpg
    Bild2.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hello

thank you for this quality response!
It is indeed a 15 cm projectile but not a "Verst". It is a "12 n / A" model with a central explosive charge.
It would be interesting to know this famous factory of manufacture having manufactured so many shells!

Currently in restoration, I will put some photos after ...

Hello,

after two hours searching it's one unknown factory less. Your shell is made by the "Gutehoffnungshütte, Aktienverein für Bergbau und Hüttenbetrieb, Oberhausen" and yes, this one is a very large factory like I estimated. I still had a list of factories which produced gun barrels and I was looking for their logos and had some luck because the Gutehoffnungshütte produced gun barrels too. I already had this factory in my list but with the letter "GH" as it's stamp.

Some pictures: https://www.google.de/search?q=gute...s6QKHaLcC4AQrNwCKAF6BQgBEM4B&biw=1266&bih=889

Last edited: