Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Premium Member
    Thanks

Question Could use some help: U.S.A. manufacturers

I would like to kindly ask for help with the following. I'm trying to find all of the last manufacturers (focus is on post-WWII) and last procurement dates of the metal parts and fuzes of the following items:

1. Bomb M47 WP / PWP - perhaps WWII-era (made) bombs were still being used in Korea and Southeast Asia, but there is no way for me to find out. Or it was Pyrene (ca. 1950 contract) which produced them last and then renovation / production of parts or the whole cases was carried out by AAI Corp. in the 1970s. No leads.

2. APERS mine M2 and variants. Kilgore is one producer of the M2 APERS post WWII, also of the M1 AT mine. Note Google Books links I provided.

3. M15 AT mine. Possibly Rheem, then Aerojet which acquired the firm around 1960. No other leads. Perhaps Picatinny as well. Perhaps Louisiana AAP had a mine metal parts plant, the plant did in fact produce artillery shells for a number of decades.

4. M19 AT mine. Definitely Picatinny (note PA lot number on pictures of the mine). No other producers known to me. No leads.

5. M19 WP rifle grenade and launcher. No real leads, possibly Moe Brothers in Wisc. (?)

6. BLU-17 WP bomblets and adapters / dispensers. Possibly Picatinny reworked M15 WP grenades, leading to birth of the BLU-17. No leads.

If these items were last produced during WWII and actually (I mean the actual munitions made during WWII)used in Korea and Vietnam, I would love to know.

My e-mail is DSarmsresearch@outlook.com

I would be grateful for any help. Sorry if this ain't exactly eloquent, in a bit of a hurry. If you have pictures of the munitions with lot numbers, please do share. If you have the ammunition lot number handbooks from those eras, please do share.

Thank you.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    P.S. If this is the wrong forum to ask, please let me know. I don't feel like barking up the wrong tree and, with all due respect, nobody seems really interested in these kinds of questions, or rather the answers to these questions. Please do not be offended by what I've just written. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Thanks
    Unfortunately I specialize in 1880s to 1920s ordnance so I can't be of much help. However, as a possible starter point for you, I'd advise looking up documentation for contracts and expenditures that the government would release at the end of a year to show how much was spent on "x" number of "x" units. That could help you to find some lists of contractors. It has helped me in the past when finding manufacturers, expenditures, dates of manufacture, etc for items from my era of interest when researching. Try fiscal year reports of the ordnance department maybe. They take a large amount of time to go through, but a lot of them are full of information that has never been bothered to look at, and even sometimes can contrast commonly accepted knowledge. Thats the best I can personally offer. I look for scanned documents on google books, or in university archives. They are very helpful.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frijoles108 For This Useful Post:

Delta Sierra (16th October 2020), Tmine35 (18th October 2020)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Frijoles, I appreciate your reply. Thank you.
    To be honest, looking through DoD expenditure docs (e.g. FY 1968 Defense Budget) can contain superb information - if you get lucky and find manufacturer of XYZ munition. It can also bore you to death after skimming over approx. 1000+ pages, however. Some budget documents do not go into detail at all though and contain hundreds of pages about military staff explaining strategy, cost reduction, modernization of the industrial base and so on.

Images
    Thanks
    I have found on this forum that longer, multifaceted questions dramatically lower your probability of getting an answer. I recommend limiting your questions to one device at a time in the appropriate section for that device. And, limit yourself to one or two questions.
    Last edited by M8owner; 16th October 2020 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks
    have you seen this book,published during the vietnam war for antiwar protesters,it contains alot of listings on manufacturers and what they made
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwieod View Post
    have you seen this book,published during the vietnam war for antiwar protesters,it contains alot of listings on manufacturers and what they made

Thank you. Yes, if it is the same as the book with the red dust cover on, I've got. It's good stuff but unfortunately does not mention the 1950s items which I am researching. How many pages does your version have?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M8owner View Post
    I have found on this forum that longer, multifaceted questions dramatically lower your probability of getting an answer. I recommend limiting your questions to one device at a time in the appropriate section for that device. And, limit yourself to one or two questions.
    Thank you for your reply. I will act upon it and do just that. BTW, I'd still love to see TX one day.

Thanks
    mine has 78 pages