What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 57mm case - 6 pounder

Would a US manufactured and marked M86 APC 57mm projectile be “ correct “ in this 6 pounder British case ?

Attachments

• F89B1E38-EA9A-49FB-9238-244C4DF73527.jpeg
    F89B1E38-EA9A-49FB-9238-244C4DF73527.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
The UK projectile has the stamps on the projectile body.
USA projectiles have the drive bands stamped with the type/year. Looks similar but not the same.

There are some threads here on BOCN about Pdr. rounds, that show projectiles.

It would not be correct to place a US projectile on a British case. You need one of these.

Attachments

• 6 pdr APCBC.jpg
    6 pdr APCBC.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation. The problem was a friend has a US 1943 M86 APC and could only find a British 57mm case. He wants his Ordnance to be correct. I advised him with your information that British 57mm , 6 pounders were loaded with British made components.

That is a strange problem in the US. US made M23A2 brass and M23A2B1 steel 57mm cases are so easy to find in the US - some of the most common. British made cases in the US are very uncommon. I would be happy to swap with him.

Last edited:
M8owner
Could you please give the details on the drive band from your projectile.
I see it is a MkX1 (MK11) which was North American production? Who is the maker?

My references say there are 4 marks of APCBC projectiles and 3 band attachment styles.
They are Mk10, Mk11, Mk15 and Mk19. Mk 11 noted as Nth American production.

My only projectile is stamped lightly on the body, not the band.
Seems to say: FS 6Pr 7Cwt XT APCBC. 5/4? S with a H in bottom ring and possibly a M? in the top ring? (maker).
Repainted black and feint stamps so not worth a photo.
I am interested to see if any UK makers stamped the details on the driving band.
Also were the Mk11 projectiles only used in USA cases as 917601 originally asked?

This was found in Canada. I have seen TP or Tecumseh Products out of Michigan as the maker mark on US 37mm projectiles before. I do not believe this projectile was used by US forces or ever mounted in US M23A2 cases.

Attachments

• 6 pdr APCBC markings1.jpg
    6 pdr APCBC markings1.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 26
  • 6 pdr APCBC markings2.jpg
    6 pdr APCBC markings2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 6 pdr APCBC markings3.jpg
    6 pdr APCBC markings3.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 24