What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

47 x 328R Italian anti-tank

Tony Williams

Hawkinson's Big Bore Ammunition lists include an Italian 47 mm AT gun case with a bottlenecked case 328 mm long and a rim diameter of 62.2 mm. From elsewhere, I have a projectile weight of 1.5 kg and a muzzle velocity of 820 m/s.

The problem is that I cannot find any reference to this gun or ammunition. Hawkinson lists it as the "47/40" but as far as I can make out, that designation is for an improved version of the usual 47/32 Böhler AT/infantry gun, featuring an L/40 barrel and probably longer-cased ammo than the usual straight-cased 47 x 195R (Hawkinson lists an Italian 47 x 235R M35, the Böhler case length also used by Austria).

Can anyone comment, correct or provide any information about all this?

Thank you!

Edit to add:

I have some follow-up questions, concerning the 47/32 (Böhler):

I understand that the Italian version of this used a 47 x 195R version of the cartridge, but Hawkinson also lists a 47 x 235R (the Austrian length) in his Italy section. Is this true or an error?

Was the L/32 the only barrel length used by Italy (there seems to be some confusion over barrel lengths and designations, with L/40 being quoted for some?

Last edited:
Tony, in my knowledge the only case lenght for italian 47 mm A/T guns is 195 mm.

During the war, a 47 mm L/48 A/T gun was also developed, but it never entered service .... born old.
I don't know its case length.

47-48_02.jpg Cannone controcarro da 47/48

Only one other gun was often used as an anti-tank gun, the 65/17 regimental gun.
Otherwise field artillery was used.

Regards
stecol

:tinysmile_twink_t::tinysmile_twink_t::tinysmile_twink_t:

4740.jpg

47/40 Tank Gun

Last edited: